Skip to main content

I have done three smokes with my 009 so far with the following results:

2 whole fryers, 3lbs. apiece, halved. Put into Smokette on middle rack and set to 225 degrees. 6 hours later, internal temperature of birds at only 150 degrees. Had to take out of smoker because of time constraints and finish in oven.

7lbs. baby back ribs on middle rack, stacked vertically in rib holder, and set at 225 degrees. 9 hours later the ribs finally finished.

Two 8.5lb. pork butts set one on middle and one on top rack at 225 degrees. 24 hours later I was only reading an internal temperature of 180 degrees in the butts.

As you can see, I am experiencing some outrageously long cooking times.

Stuart from CS sent me a new thermostat which I have installed and I am back at it tonight.

Back to the very start for me with a repeat of the 2 whole fryers halved and placed on middle rack. I am hoping for a more reasonable 4 hour smoking time. Hopefully will have some good news to report.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wheelz is right about extension cords. This unit draws only 1500 watts.. not much.. but, I'd still use a #12 extension cord so as not to waste heat in the cord itself.

Also, you didn't say whether you opened the smoker during the cook. If you did.. It may not be such a good idea.. it adds about 20-30 minutes to the cook time for each opening.

My birds usually cook up in 2.5-3 hrs.. depending on who knows what..
Thanks for the info and advice. No, I have not been using an extension cord for any of the cooks so far. I have only opened the door when the expected cooking time has elapsed (4 hours ribs & chicken or 10-12 hours for the butts.) And I only opened the door to use a manual temp probe to double-check the accurateness of my cable probe.

I will update this thread with my results after having installed the new thermostat. I'm hoping to see chicken cooking times more like you experience Smokenque. . . We'll see.
Do not open the door! I know it is hard to not open the door. No matter how long it has been, just make sure you have a fresh AAA battery in the remote therm. The only time to ever smoke according to length of time is doing ribs or jerky or something else where is is not feasible to use a probe. Do not open the door!

Cool
Hi Hippie, thnaks for responding. No, I do not open the door. I have been using different types of smokers for a long time so I definitely know the value of keeping a stable cooking chamber.

I just pulled the chickens after nearly 8 hours in the cooker and did not open the door once during the entire duration. They only reached 165 degrees.

8 hours for a 3lb. fryer and not even up to temp yet? 24 hours for an 8lb butt? 9 hours for babyback ribs?

These times are much too long. I am experiencing cooking times that are consistently more than double of what they should be. Another call to CS Support tomorrow.
I am sorry, DT, I didn't mean to insult your intelligence. There is definitely something wrong with the unit, as you know. Have you tried different receptacles? I know that is a stretch, but might be worth trying a different one. David might be on to something, I remember a post not long ago where someone had to replace the element, and then one long before where an element was grounding out or something similar. Sorry about all your trouble with it. I hope you get it worked out very soon and you end up happy with the smoker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.