Skip to main content

I have a new SM055 I would like to know what is the best way to check the internal max temp my cooker can reach? The dial says it can go to 250˚ but for my own peace of mind I would like to know how accurate that number is. I understand there will be tempature swings up and down that dosent bother me.

I have a digital probe with a 3 foot cable I stick into the meat that is cooking. Can this be used to check the max tempature of the smoker without it beeing stuck into something being cooked?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tom will probably reply better than me, but I believe that I have seen folks push the probe through a potato so it sticks out quite a bit and the end of the probe picks up the ambient temp. It keeps the probe off the hot grates. However, since us CS owners have holes in the top of our units, why not just dangle it in the unit so it doesn't touch anything?
You will be surprised at the temperature variations.

The best thing to do with those numbers is to forget them!

You may find that when set on 250 you can chart temps from 200 to 300 or it could be 225 to 275. Either way they don't help you.

In my opinion there is only one temperature for each piece of meat. That temperature is the target for the internal temp you have decided you will cook it to.

When it reaches that temp it is done!

I have never opened the door to ever check on a piece of meat. I know what the temp is and that's all that counts.

The other day I had 3 pieces of deer neck totaling about 12 lbs. Overnight I had it set on 200 and in the morning I set it on 250. Twenty hours later..... -20-.. it reached the magic 195. It was done.

You bet I was tempted to open and check on it... but I didn't.

If I were to design one of these things I'd have a switch with 4 positions: OFF Slow Slower Slowest.

Have a great time with your new toy.

Richard

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.