Skip to main content

OK. I decided to start a second string in order to get the attention of those who already saw the origional... I have a bit more to share and wouldf really like an opinion on the smoke situation described at the end...
I placed the smoker box the only way I could see to make it fit, that is between the two burner elements. No I did not use an extension cord, as I read that it would cause inefficiencies in the cook cycle.

I took Karen's advice and put a piece of cheap meat in the cooker, loaded the wood, and let it cook for about 8 hours to season the unit. I did get a pretty good flow of smoke from the "chimney" hole in the top as well as a bit seeping from around the top of the door. The smoke flow seemed to last about 45 minutes. When the process was complete, the wood was a deep dark black, but not the white ash I've seen others discuss here on the forum.

I then went ahead and cooked a 12 lb. brisket. Same experience with the smoke. I saw quite a flow for about 45 minutes or so. Started at 6:00 pm yesterday. Woke up at 8:00am today, went outside and the meat probe read 206 degrees. I guess I let it go an hour or two too long. Shoot me. I was tired. Slept late. The brisket was so tender, I couldn't grab it out of the unit. I had to work my hands underneath and lift or it would break apart. Looks and smells great. I let it stand for 30 minutes, wrapped in foil and stuck it into the refrigerator. I'm told that will make the slicing easier. We will re heat it for tonight's dinner. Hope it's not dried out... I'm already hungry.
Wood is still Dark Black chunks, not ash. Is this normal? Shouldn't they have burned up to nothing but ash?
I will follow up later tonight or tommorrow to let everyone know how the brisket actually tastes.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.