Skip to main content

First off, I'd like to take my hat off to all of you and say a big "howdy!!"
I just received my smokette 009 today, unfortunately I will not be home for another 8 weeks.
I've been reading thru the forum, some really great stuff in here especially for a newbie
Like myself.

Ok so I have a few questions, like any true "guy" I'm hitting the ground running and planning a BBQ for a week after I get home. This does not leave me much time to practices so i'm looking to tap the fountain of knowledge.
We are figuring 40 to 45 people. Im planning 2 full briskets and 4 butts. Does this sound about right?

Also ive read about people making the meat ahead of time and then re heating, whats the best way to do this and does it
Effect the quality of the product? I have read that the briskets are better fresh.

One more before I go I was looking at the cold baffle, I would like to do cheese and fish, is the CS baffle worth the 50$
Or is there another way to cold smoke with the same results?

Thanks again

PS:Post was written by spelling challenged individual, no offence is meant by errors
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Depending on your sides,2/3 lb uncooked works pretty well for an average crowd.

Like said earlier,if you have the high school ball team or a bunch of working men,1 lb uncooked is a safer bet.

You can reheat either,almost as good as straight off the pit.

The added liquids are for moisture.

You can use a crockpot to hold,but I like to reheat in the oven at about 250º.

Foil 1/2 pans,covered with plastic wrap and foil, can go straight from refrigerator to oven.
Last edited by tom
quote:
Originally posted by pelicanwompwomp:
so when you go to re-heat, is it best to do in the oven? about what temp and i see that people have added anything from apple juice to coffee. is this for moisture or added flavor? i'm guessing foil it during re heating. would a crook pot be ok maybe on a low setting?

If you vac seal/froze it you can throw the bag in boiling water. If I don't vac seal, I wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. To re-heat, remove foil and plastic wrap then in foil again. I usually start it several hours ahead at 200F - 250F. Slow cooking, and reheating, is very forgiving.

Crock pots are great, too.

If it's not too personal, where are you that is not home?

Donna
Pelican,

My 2 cents - if you smoke the meats in advance by several days, I recommend that you vac seal (if you have a sealer) and freeze whole. If you don't have a vac sealer, still wrap tightly and carefully and freeze whole. Reheat in the oven as others have suggested and pull your meat after reheated. IMO this makes for better flavor retention.

The caterers in the group say you can expect a 40-50% weight loss during smoking. If you are serving side dishes, then probably 1/3 to 1/2 lb. cooked meat per person will provide a good guide line.

Good luck
quote:
I have read that the briskets are better fresh.

We cook briskets weeks ahead and cryovac them for use at trade shows. When the salespeople get to the show, the take the briskets out of the cryovac, wrap in foil and reheat in a smoker in our exhibit. They do this with ribs and pork butt as well. These meats are served as samples to potential buyers. Obviously we would not do this if we got an inferior product.

Can't do it with chickens -- they must be fresh.

Donna
Hey
Guys thanks for all your advice.... I'll make sure to drop a line on how it all turns out
And as it gets closer drop any last minute questions to the group. does any one have a suggestion for Vac sealers?

Donna, I'm in the middle east right now, I'm in the commercial diving industry
.... Building oil pipelines underwater ect....

Over and out
The cold smoke baffle if definitely worth the money if you are into fish and cheese. Having come to Cookshack a modified old refer, and trying over the years a number of ways to get cold and smoke at the same time, I was more than highly skeptical. But it works and works well. Smiler

I am so impressed that I shall buy the cold smoking attachment for my 100 series when I get around to it. Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.