Skip to main content

Am I missing something? I have Smoked for years using a new braunfield. I just got my new Amerique and started the break in @ 200 degrees as spec'fied and the wood did not smoke. I checked everything and it is set up right..... Hard to not. Raised temp to 300' and great smoke. Tried again this morning @ 225' but no smoke. It keeps its temp OK so i know i have heat. Help
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shouldn't be any reason it won't smoke at 200 or 225, given enough time. Did you dangle a temp probe into the box to check the temp while seasoning ? Move the wood to the front of the woodbox and over the holes and see if that helps.

My Smokette smokes great below 200.

Welcome to the forum.

Cool
First I'd call Cookshack's tech guy.. he's great.

Next, there have been some reports of poor combustion of wood in Smokettes.. don't know if this same problem happens with the AQ. Mine works fine. But, I had intermittent problems with wood just charring in my 008. What I did was to bend the bracket that the smokebox sits on so the bottom of the box is closer to the element.. that took care of the problems with the 008. I always get full combustion of the wood now.

I believe there is a caviet tho.. don't let the element touch the bottom of the woodbox..

Check and see if that may be the problem. Mine is now about 1/4" from the bottom of the woodbox.
I've had my Amerique now for over a year and I remember when I was breaking it in I also had trouble getting it to smoke, it eventually "woke up" and smokes good now. But with certain woods I think depending on how hard they are I have trouble getting them to smoke at 200, at 225 no problem. Also if you are just smoking for a short period of time like 2 hours at 200 you might not get much smoke. For cold smoking something like salmon/lox since it is only on for about a half an hour I use chips, they work good for a short smoke.
Well Ribs again. 225' for 4hrs and both chunks of Hickory were charred but not asked. Looked like Charcole.
I guess my question wood beeee What if the wood was still green. It seems random how it burns. Sat. I had one piece Ashed and one piece Charred. I will try wood I have had in bucket for a year and see what happens. The wood I have been using was from Cookshack.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.