Skip to main content

Just got my 150 and went to cure it. When I turned it on, it soon started to smoke. As the temp raised, I know longer had any smoke coming out. Blew it off, not knowing anything. When I turned it off, I looked at my wood. It had not even really smoldered. It was pretty much whole.

Gotta go to work, so I don't have time to call Tony. Any ideas as to what happened? I am going to try it again (curing) Confused tonight when I get off work.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Long ago when I got my 008, I just put several pieces of wood in the box and turned it on to 225 de. Left it on for 4 hours. Smoke came out of the vent for awhile than tappered off. When I opened it up the wood in the box was fully chared and ready for disposal. Hope this helps or call C/S.
freebird,
the hardest thing for me to used to on the 150 was just what you are talking about.
my fec merrily smokes away and there sets the 150 with no noticeable smoke after maybe 30 mins.
i don't think anything is wrong with your 150 but i would suggest two things that have helped me transition between fec and 150;
1- get a cheap composition notebook and everytime you use the unit write down everything. i include meat,weight,cooking temp,time heck i even note if i am using pellets or wood chunks. it will help you keep track of what you are doing right.
2- for piece of mind a cheap taylor remote thermometer works wonders. just slide the probe down the exhaust hole and let it hang in free air. you wont open the door. the unit will hold heat and it just generally makes me feel better. cost is about 18 bucks at target.

almost forgot the most important thing. this is supposed to be fun. dont stress. if you do stress just log in hourly temps and come to the forum.

hope this helps some
and as a side note i got so used to the 150 that i just ordered another one. hopefully it will get here next week Big Grin

jack
I also had the same thing happen with my new 150 and when I called they said that I probably passed the smoldering stage and just went to the wood drying stage since there was no moisture in the cooker since there was no meat and no drippings etc. The next time I used some meat in the cooker and oversmoked a chicken since I was used to an offset smoker. The wood however did burn correctly. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the info. I believe you all were right. Makes me wonder why they tell you to "cure" it first, though.

I had 2 Butts and a brisket going. Thing worked beautiful. Had 3 chunks wood and a charcoal brick. I was surprised at the faster cooking time. Had it set at 250/ 12hr. Brisket was overdone, Butts were done just right. Could have been a lil smokier. A lil bigger smoke ring. Will take care of that next time. Will have to figure out how to get that wood thing out and back in during the cook without burning myself. Anybody ever started out with lump, and then added the wood chunks during the cook? Live and learn.

Got a turkey going now. This thing is fun
freebird,
glad it is all working out good for you and you are having a fun time!!!!!! Big Grin
i saw where you are wanting a little better smoke ring and smokier taste and while i have never done the lump and wood thing if you promise not to laugh i'll tell you what works for me on both scores.
pellets!!! yep oak/pecan blend pellets.
i make a bag out of foil and add 4 oz and seal it up and into the wood hopper it goes.
every 4 hours i just add another one until the meat is done.
get a pair of those ove' glove things. it makes changing out the wood box real ez.
jack
ps. hit on the pellet thing when i wanted to make the sm match the product coming out of my fec. took two tries to fine tune. now i just use pellets
1st. A disclaimer. This reply kinda tongue in cheek.

2nd. Married into a Texas family. Already considered an apostate from trying to broaden their horizons to the wonder of pulled pork. That bein said, there is no way I would ever proffer a brisket s a smoke ring. My b-in-law who is from Okie City (married my wifes sis) loves to go on and on bout how I cook on a FEC made in Ok. Ya gotta either be from Ok. or Texas to understand the ramifications of this.

3rd. Where there's a will there's a way. We will get a smoke ring. Albeit, from lump, or pellet packets, or whatever.

4th.As for ruffling the feathers of the illustrious "S.O". I recall having proffered an invite to the Meridian (where I might add, I had my donkey handed to me on a sling)and he did not come down. Wuz he afeared of crossing the Red River? No matter. We love our CS 150 (BTW the turkey was perfect.) but we will get a Texas size SR come Hell or highwater.

5th I have utilized the search function of this forum and have got a lot of useful info. But the best I ever got was to take two JD's and call in the AM. LOL. Tom, you da man.

6th. I suffer from a chronic case of Miller Lite itis, and am not to be held accountable for anything that I have previosly said.

Mike
No worries, tongue in cheek replies accepted here.

SR...stop it...laugh, laugh, laugh...

you're killing me...laugh.

BBQ Humor, it's not very good is it?

nah, mentioning smoke ring doesn't ruffle my feathers.

Insert tongue in cheek for following.

You know guys, every time a smoke ring is mentioned you don't need to call me out -- I can read you know Wink

Mike, I didn't come to Meridian, where I had an invite by the way having placed in a Texas contest, but it wasn't the right weekend.

Do you own a 150 or an FEC. Your last post mentions an FEC? If it's a 150, I wouldn't add lump, I'd add a piece of charcoal -- it burns less efficiently and that's what you need, lump burns too clean.

The curing of the smoker is like an old cast iron skiller, it need some seasoning. That's what the curing does.

When you stop seeing smoke, doesn't mean it's not smoking. There is dirty smoke and clear smoke. Dirty is when the wood is first igniting and clear is after the wood is going. You actually want the clear.

Too bad that people think the only good Q has a SR, but it's normal that people eat with their eyes. I can tell you about more than 1 Texas team that artificially enhances their SR just to get a better one. They came up to me at a BBQ Convention in Houston and we talked about it. You gotta do what the public or the judges or the family want. IF that means a SR, then make a SR.

The challenge is that the smoker you're using, a 150? has it's limits and because of how it burns, there will be a limited SR. It's called Science and the nitrates just aren't there.

Add some charcoal.

I have a handle to pull out the smoke box to add wood when I need to.

Stop it Mike, you're using big words. Illustrious? not me, I'm a BBQ guy, not a TV chef Wink

As for being "afeared" of crossing the river? Well... there's not a Texan I'm scared of in any contest, not that I'm better, I just know contests are difficult and I don't worry about being beaten. I'm not scared of any BBQ team, it's about fun. I've seen plenty in my life to be scared of and BBQ will never be on THAT list.

Eeker
Next time will try using more charcoal and then adding chunks. You are right Smokin, people do eat with their eyes. I had done a search and saw where you had been cooking at a show or something and got a big SR with old , burnt chunks. Made me want to try lump.

Was very pleased with the initial effort on the 150. I look forward to making a better product in the future and using this great forum to help me do that.

The Red River referral seemed funny through my Miller Lite perspective at the time. Not being from Tex but having in-laws from both states I have enjoyed playing the role of devils advocate. Both sides are proud of their state and rightfully so. No offense was meant. Looking at the post through sober, bloodshot eyes, I see it was out of place.

Mike
I took a Chinese cooking class once. We did roast pork in a kitchen oven. The marinade that was used produced what looked just like a smoke ring on an item that had no smoke applied. No, I didn't set anything on fire in the oven! So, if you want the look of a smokering it's do-able, but I think flavor is the important thing.
Peggy
Oh, here's the recipe:

Cantonese Roast Pork

1 1/4 lbs lean pork. Teacher preferred a butt.

Marinade:
2 T dark soy sauce
1 tsp. 5 spice powder
1 T dry sherry
2 T sugar
5 T hoisin sauce
1/3 tsp. red food color
1 T honey.

Cut pork into strips 6" x 1". Soak in marinade for 3-6 hours.

Place pork strips on the rack of roasting pan. Put the pan on bottom rack of oven. Roast one side of the pork strips for about 30 min. Turn and brush with marinade.

375 degrees.

Also works well with ribs and dark meat chicken.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.