Skip to main content

Been lurking here for a while, this is my first post. I have had the opportunity to scour the many posts on this great forum. Thanks to everyone for their informantion and insight.

After reading many threads, I told the wife that if Santa wanted to know what I wanted this Christmas, he could probably find it in one of the Cookshack products.

Soooo...last night the big tractor trailer pulls up and the wife tells me to pull my pick up behind the delivery truck and there, on pallet was an AmeriQue smoker!

So my son is helping me load the AQ in the garage. A total of three boxes...The problem is that Santa doesn't officially arrive for 11 DAYS! So...every day on my way out of the house I get to look over at my new toy STILL in the box. Big Grin Today was day one. 10 more days to smokin'.

I can't wait, till Christmas!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Heynow -- Your wife must be a dandy. Let's hope Santa believes in equality for all Wink

Now, I agree that you should check out that box very closely for damage. Probably should also look and make sure CS sent everything. Donna is not perfect ya know (Donna, you didn't see that!). Make sure the door opens and closes properly. Check out the woodbox and make sure they sent the ones with the holes for proper smoking. While the woodbox is open toss in about 4-6 oz of wood, just to make sure it burns properly. Oops! that puppy's already seasoned. The only way to really check out the heating element is to let er rip for a few hours. Make sure that heating element fires up properly. Now, let's not waste any electricity. You know that butt you bought for your first smoke...? Carry it over near the smoker and stub your toe on something and let that slippery sucker slide right into the AQ. Dang! Guess you ought to just go ahead and smoke it. Christmas won't be ruined. Tie a bow arouud the AQ and be ready to do another one Christmas morning. Wonder aroma to wake up to! Big Grin

Have fun with your new toy.
quote:
Originally posted by HeynowWv:
You know, I probably ought to open them to make sure there isn't any damage..... Big Grin

Yup, you better. In fact tell her the Forum Moderator said so (sounds more official) Big Grin

That way, you can have a couple of practice runs before then and won't be spending all day Christmas working with Q and can spend it with the family...eating.
I am indeed a lucky man. I have the best woman on the planet!

Just an update...I did open the box to check for any damage. Perfect condition..this thing is built like a tank. The AQ is a sight to behold! I even opened the door and tested the Adult Proof latch. I need a child to teach me how to lock it. Wink After that, I put the box back on top so I don't spend my day peering out the kitchen door into the garage and seeing that Amerique logo staring at me. The wife has tried to convince me to go ahead and set it up. I'm trying to hold off...it's not easy....I'm not going to make it until the 25th, I just know it.
At last week's cook class, Stuart (President of Cookshack) went over their various models. The Amerique definitely has some positives when compared to other Cookshack cookers.

I got one of the first Ameriques and after you have as many good cookings with yours as I have had with mine, you should be well pleased with your purchase and choice.
The maiden seasoning is complete. Five hours of 6 oz. of hickory and the inside is nice and brown. I am very impressed with the controls and construction of the AmeriQue. Very, very sturdy and the electronic controls are very intuitive.

It was a very warm day here for December, around 70 degrees. Walking around outside, you could smell the smoke coming out of the AQ. Smelled soooo good even though there was no meat inside. The wife even commented on how good it smelled. She is very impressed with the AQ, since every opportunity I get, I give her a tour of how it works and what it will do. I'm thinking she is rolling her eyes as I act like a giddy kid with my new toy.

I'll take pics of my first live run in the AQ...stay tuned.
The first smoke in the AQ has happened!
I was at Costco yesterday picking up some last minute Christmas items and I couldn't help but walk by the pork section. I didn't see any pork butts. I wanted a quick first smoke, so I picked up some spare ribs. Got home and cut them in to St. Louis style. I prepped them using the CS Rib Rub. Smelled great. Foiled the smoker lid and bottom of the AQ and set the temp to 230 and the time to 5 hours and put the two slabs in the cooker.

During the first seasoning of the AQ, my 6 oz of hickory didn't char much. So after reading in the forum about bending the element a little, I made a minor adjustment and put in 3 oz of apple.

I opened the AQ twice during the cook to make sure I didn't overcook the ribs. The second opening I put on some CS spicey BBQ sauce and spritzed them with some apple juice.

I placed the ribs in at 12 noon and by 4:30 one of the slabs was pulling away from the bone nicely. I removed one slab and ran the second one until 5:45. Temp was very consistant throughout the entire cook.

Results;

The ribs were very tender. They did not dry out at all. Not much bark, but will work on that next time. I could have finished them on the grill, but chose to get a taste this go around. I could add more wood next time, but the wife and son said that the amount of smoke was perfect.

They said that these ribs were the BEST that they had ever tasted! Even better than when I used my offset. The wife ususally puts a couple of cut ribs on her plate and that's it. Last night I saw her get up and get SECONDS! They both kept saying umh, umh, umh! Needless to say, I think they ate most everything. There may be a couple of ribs left from the two slabs.

Looks like we have a winner Cookshack! Turkey breast for Christmas is next...maybe put the Ham in the AQ too....What a great Toy!
No maybe about the ham! Put that puppy in there. One of the favorite things we do here is to put a normal (read cheep) cooked ham into the 55 and run it up to about 110 deg. It's easy and it is delicious. Just make sure you get a real ham, not one of the processed ones. And spiral cut gives you the most flavor but non sliced is good too.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
No maybe about the ham! Put that puppy in there. One of the favorite things we do here is to put a normal (read cheep) cooked ham into the 55 and run it up to about 110 deg. It's easy and it is delicious. Just make sure you get a real ham, not one of the processed ones. And spiral cut gives you the most flavor but non sliced is good too.

Should I put the ham in a pan? I am assuming that I should probe the ham to 110 degrees?

Thanks for the help.
Got a 13 pound Smithfield ham today. It has been smoked but not fully cooked. The label has directions to cook to an internal temp of 145*F. I figger I will set the Smokette full blast and take it to 150*F and put some extra cherry smoke on it. 3-4 hours maybe?
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.