Skip to main content

In a recent post about brisket, Prisonchef advised for 2- maybe 3 hours try to keep your temps under 200 this will let the meat take up more smoke. also put your brisket in cold. Have many/any of you tried this - keeping the temp below 200 for more smoke? Is there a significant difference? If so, it may be worth trying. If not significant, all I can see this method doing is adding more time to the smoke. Does this apply to all meat or just brisket?

Not doubting you Jack, just seeing if others have given this process a shot. Big Grin

TIA for responses!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't heard proof, but "many" believe (I'm saying many who post in BBQ forums) believe that meat stops taking on smoke at a certain point. The common number is 140.

Funny, 140 is the hi end of the danger zone. But I've tried, without success to find a reputable source that knows enough about food science to understand what I'm asking. Until I find someone, I'll stick with 140.

So the longer it takes to get to 140, the "deeper" the nitrates will penetrate to create the smoke ring.

If you want more of a smoke ring, there's are those pesky SR words again, you just need to then keep your meat temp from rising above 140.

The conventional methods are to put it in cold, so the meat takes longer to get to temp and to smoke it at a lower temp.

It works for me. I put my briskets in and let them smoke for hours and I've posted many times here about how I've used to do my briskets at 180.

BUT. Isn't there always a but...

The concern is that you will keep the brisket in the danger zone too long. Well, I figure if my finishing temps are above 185, then I've killed most of those pesky critters.

Then of course, don't forget that the smoke will still stick to the outside of the meat all the way through the rest of the cook and too much smoke isn't a fun taste.
that's my take on it too.
i guess the reason i have never worried much about bacterial growth when holding temps at 145-160 is the enviorment the little buggers are living in. smoke by it's self is somewhat acidic and then you combine that with the salt in the rub and the relative lack of moisture and there really isn't too much for them to live on.
i wish i could find the paper that was written at either texas or oklahoma university where they did a complete study of uptake of smoke. it was really interesting and from what i remember their experiment found that after the extrior of the meat hit 165 it stopped taking smoke
jack
that is what i love about this forum.
everytime i come here i have to think,
while most cuisines are rigidily codified bbq sure ain't and it tests your skills everytime you do it.
that must be the reason i love it so much!!!!!
and thanks to everyone who posts and makes me think!!!!
jack
quote:
Originally posted by GeiyserQ:
[qb] Now here's anudder question........

If the meat actually changes and closes itself to smoke at some point how are we able to take a store bought fully cooked smoked ham that's aready hit that temp while being smoked the 1st time and add more smoke to it? [/qb]
I'm not expert, but I stay at a Holiday Inn...

I think what you're doing is adding smoke to the outside of the meat. Regardless of when the SR stops, you will still add smoke to the outside of the meat. That's why if you leave it in long enough, you'll get TOO much smoke. Smoke is full of particulates that cling to whatever, so they're clinging to the outside of the ham.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.