Skip to main content

I recently recieved my new CS smoker sm055. Tried my 1st set of Baby Back ribs in the smoker,was a bit disappointed . Kinda dry..

Q. what is 2 oz of wood (1 chunk) is this enough wood.(I used 3 small chunks)
Q. I set the temp at 230 for about 3.5 hours (is this enough/to much?)
Q. I set the ribs 1 on top rack 1 on the 2nd rack. 1 meat side down 1 meat side up (which works best for you)
I used a dry rub (1 slab CS dry rub 1 slab my own)Any help would be appreciated thanks....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome Blazen,

First of all, did you season your 55? That is an absolute must. Follow the CS Instruction book.

2 oz of wood is the approx size of each wood chunk that CS supplies. You will learn that for most smokes, depending on the amount of meat you are cooking, that 1 or 2 chunks is enough. For 2 slabs, 1 chunk is enough unless you want a really heavy smoke flavor. That is a personal taste issue.

As for temp and time, read the forum and especially read Smokin' Okies BBQ guides posted at the top. Rarely do you need a cook temp setting higher than 225. Time is dependent on the weight of whatever you're cooking. Probably 3.5 hrs is not enough for babybacks depending on your preference for doneness. You said yours were dry, but you did not say if you opened the door to peak. If you did, that could be your problem. The CS is pretty fool proof because it retains a lot of moisture and does not need tending like a stick or charcoal burner. No need to open the door.

Most Q'ers will cook wiith bone side down, if laying flat. Many use rib racks or the hangers so they can get more slabs in.

Rubs are strictly personal taste. The CS rub is good and there are many rub recipes posted throughout the forum and forum recipes.

Most important, read the forum including the archives. Lots of good information and great recipes. Good luck!!! Big Grin
Hi Blazen,

Welcome to the group. Smiler

Check the "lessons for new users" link in the Open forum. It has a lot of good ideas and suggestions for those folks just starting out with their CS smokers. I think you'll find the answers to a lot of your questions. If not, the members of this forum probably have 2,000,000 combined years of experience and will always help out.

One suggestion I'd have is to buy an inexpensive postal or kitchen scale to weight your wood. Each type weights differently depending on what kind it is and how dry it is. If you go by chunk size alone, you can get fooled sometimes. As Qu'in Mike said, amount of wood is a personal thing. Go easy until you get a handle on how much you like.

Hook
Q. what is 2 oz of wood (1 chunk) is this enough wood.(I used 3 small chunks)
A. Most would say that's too much wood. But that's a personal preference. I like a lot of smoke in my Q, but too much can make it bitter. If it tasted good to you, then it was just right. But next time try less and see which you prefer (I'd go with approx 4 oz).

Q. I set the temp at 230 for about 3.5 hours (is this enough/to much?)
A. If the ribs were tough, then it wasn't enough time. I doubt they were falling off the bone, which some like and some say is overcooked. Try cooking the next batch 4.5 - 5 hours. See which you prefer. Also, I crank the temp to 250 for ribs.

Q. I set the ribs 1 on top rack 1 on the 2nd rack. 1 meat side down 1 meat side up (which works best for you)
A. I think you know my answer. Find which works best for you. Either is fine. Some use hooks and hang them vertically, some use rib racks and stack them on end.

The key here is to experiment and find what you like. You'll get many, differing opinions (Hook says to weigh your wood, I say just eyeball it). By cooking your own Q, you don't have to settle for my way or Famous Dave's way or anyone else's--do it the way you like. It just takes a little time to figure out your prefs.
HI Blaz, and welcome to the world of CS�

I think most on here would tell you ribs may be the hardest smoke to do and do right, especially for your first smoke. Generally speaking a 6-8 lb butt is hard to beat as a first smoke. But, you did ribs, had some concerns and now have room for improvement. I suggest you make notes (time/temp/wood/rack/rub/etc), modify your next attempt (keep more notes) and gradually get your ribs the way you like them.

My first and most difficult hurdle to overcome with my CS was the �more wood is better� syndrome. I still am amazed at how little it takes to get a nice flavor.

I do my ribs at 225 for 4.5-5 hours (loin backs) and up to 6 hours for �spares�. I rotate shelves about half way through and spritz them with apple juice when I do. That�s the only time I open the door. Then I like to finish them off on my grill while �mopping� them with my favorite sauce. Another point of view is that if they�re properly �smoked� they don�t need sauce. Your choice. Make notes. I don�t want mine �falling off the bone� but do like it to pull off easily.

The worst BBQ I ever had was pretty darn good (with one notable exception in Hot Springs, AR), so hang in there and keep smokin��.. And Welcome!
I found it helpful to leave a 3 bone section in for another hour when I was learning to smoke ribs.

It gives you an idea of what they "would have been like" woithout risking the rest of your ribs.

For me, what I thought was dried out, was really just undercooked.

The extra hour of cooking (in my case) really disolved the fat, and made them juicy.
Blazen -- You got some good info in the above posts. As you can see, BBQ leaves a lot to personal preference. I think ribs are easy to over-smoke and never use more that 3 oz of wood (I use hickory or oak). There too, it depends on the type of wood.

As for when they are done, there are several ways to check. Personally, I check to see that the meat has pulled up on the bone a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Another way is to try to push a toothpick between the ribs. If it goes through without much resistance, they're done. Another way is to try to lift the ribs with a set of tongs. If the meat begins to crack, they're done. Find what test suits you best and go with it! It's youur taste buds that need to be satisfied Big Grin

One more thing; DON'T OPEN THE DOOR until at least the 3 1/2 - 4 hour mark. All you would be doing is wasting heat and extending your smoking time!

Welcome to the forum. It's a wonderful place to learn about BBQ and how to do it right! Big Grin
Hello Blazen, and welcome to the forum. We have all been where you are, so, don't sweat the small stuff. Two things: first, go to some of the posts that brag about their ribs to see maybe what they did to improve your next try. Second, go to the "smokin okie barbecue guide" link listed at the top of this page for some really good tips for beginners. This unit uses very little wood to give you very good results with regard to smoky flavor. Good luck.

Fresno

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.