Skip to main content

With cooler temperatures coming I was thinking I could put my smoker on an appliance timer to turn on during the night, all ready loaded with a butt. This way it would be done at the right time for supper�and I wouldn�t have to get out of bed. Does anyone else do this and have a recommendation for a good timer? It would have to be one that won�t malfunction in sub zero temps.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tony,
There is a 4 hour window of the meat being at the danger zone of temps (45 - 140 F). You could put the meat in frozen and just let it go. No telling when its done - cause as we all know "Its done when its done".

The smoker is very well insulated, so outside temps wont affect it that much (unless you leave the door open prior to inserting the meat).

One thing about appliance timers you need to make sure it doesnt turn off after a 24 hour cycle as most clock based timers run by a motor will recycle the timing period.

Regards,
Preston
I have one of those very old mechanical appliance timers (the kind with the push on/off tabs). I set it to start at 2:00am and have a brisket ready a lot earlier in the day, without getting out of bed at 2:00am. I also have a remote temp probe from Cabelas so I can check the temp right from bed when I wake up to see how far it's gotten.
Of course, I only do this in the winter when temps are low enough to permit and start with a cold cooker and meat. I usually use 35 degrees as my guideline.
My Cookshack (50) sits inside of a Rubbermaid Backyard Box and cooks inside there.
I just watch the weather and make sure I won't violate that temp guideline.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.