Skip to main content

I recently recieved my model 50 and was wondering what the average temperature ranges are for each setting. At 225, I get a reading as high as 297, and on the 100 degree setting, it ranges between 101-221 degrees . Is that normal? I havent tried the other settings yet. I'd appreciate it if others can give me their average temps to see how mine stacks up against other units.
Thanks,
Gib egibnvic@cox.net
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

AZ Smoker....Have had my CS 50 since Memorial Day Weekend or so and while one of my remote thermometers also displays the internal oven temp and I've casually observed the swings, I've never recorded or plotted them out.

All I know is that it does a fantastic job slowly smokin' all the good stuff I've cooked in the past 2 1/2 months or so (about 95 lbs pork butt, 45 lbs brisket, 25 lbs ribs in total thus far).

But back to your point about the swings....Is it impacting your smoking results thus far? I know others will have some detail/info they can share and I am happy to keep closer tabs on my next smoke and share my findings with you...Good luck on the research....IBSPY
Az
My 55 runs 43 degrees over the knob settting. It will cycle when it falls 7 degrees under the knob setting.
In my eyes this makes my unit run 25 degrees hotter than it should.
Your unit will run on the hotter side while heating the interior up for the startup. Then it should settle down. Towards the end of a long smoke you should have a pretty good idea of where it is at.
Follow the forum keep good notes and become one with your new smoker. It will produce great Q for you.
There will be a few bumps in the road, But without failure there would be no success.
that my 2 cents worth.
Az
Read back through the forum - there has been a whole lot of discussion on this issue. My 50 would peak at about 320 when the thermostat is set at 225. Also the range of the temp swing changes depending on the amount you are smokin or if you were measuring an empty smoker. And like smokejacker sez, it will run hotter during startup until the unit as a whole stabilizes.

Bottom line is that the smoker works and with time, you learn to work with it. Don't sweat about the temp swings, just enjoy the end result.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.