Skip to main content

I don't know what happened tonight. Hopefully I caught it before it ruins 12 pounds of meat. I put in a chunk of hickory and a chunk of apple --- preety standard for me.

The wood is about 1 year old. I turn it to 225 and about 35 minutes later brownish - green smoke is pouring out of the 008. I opened the door and I almost choked on the smell. Real acrid. Nasty. There was 20x the normal smoke, it seemed.

I pull that wood out, and replace it with some other hickory and close it back up. Not long after I get the normal white plume of smoke and things seem "ok". Praying that in the morning all will be ok, though I really have my doubts. In 50+ cooks in this I have never seen this happen EXCEPT when I tried a trick with adding some rosemary to the smoker.
Original Post
My guess is that you either had a piece of wood that was rotten/airy/pithy (very light weight). This wood, no matter what variety wil put off a lot of dense smoke.

My other guess would be (and I hope this is not the case) that you happened to get a piece of conifer (evergreen - pine, cedar, ect). All the resins in this wood puts out a lot of smoke and you certainly don't want to cook with it!

Just my thoughts. Hope you smoke is not ruined!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.