Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I got my new smokette two days ago, I tried some chicken breasts for my first smoke....big mistake!! set at 225 went ot 300 and stayed there, had to turn the dial down to 210 to hear the controller click off..this could be very upsetting, anyway, I put a 15lb brisket in at 7pm and its been 16 hours now and the temp is doing a good job of controlling...so I sugest put a large piece of meat in for your fist load.
I don't think the temp at 300 is a factor. I bet it may have something to do with the heating element used(longevity) and controls.

Now you could burn the wood much faster and even cause it to go into flame.

Now if you feel like voiding the warranty, I say go for it and post how it went. I would be interested in hearing more on your outcome.
I spoke to Tony at CS yesterday. He said my black model 50 would take the extra heat with no problem. As soon as I get the chance, I'll crank it up and let you know what, if any difference it makes.

I've never done chicken. I suppose that's what I should try. Any other suggestions?
Hook,

Wednesday was only my second time for chicken on my CS, but it was as delicious and predictable as the first and is the simplest of all smokes for me. I don�t use mustard, or mayonnaise, or anything gooey. I don�t even use a temp probe. I just buy the biggest whole chicken I can find (usually around 6 lb), halve it and rub all sides with a good dry poultry rub. Crank the CS up to max (250 with one chunk of hickory), and don�t look at them for three hours. The juices pour out when you pull the various parts off. Both times when I checked with an insta-temp the internal temp was 185-190. Skin had browned nicely and nothing further was needed. Well, I could have thrown them on a hot grill for 10 minutes or so, but the dinner bell had rung and people were waiting.

arkansasQer
Hook,

I saw your note today on building a thermostat for the 50. Can you give any details?

I have been really interested in building temp sensors I could connect to my PC and then the PC could monitor/warn/track the temps.

The guys at Applied Digital make some interesting stuff that could be use to attach the temp probes to the computer.

Be kinda cool to have your PC announcing the meat temps!

I just need a way to get the temps into the PC.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.