Skip to main content

Doing my fourth smoke, 2nd set of Loin Backs today - 3 racks totalling about 6 lbs.. IN the past, I did a 6.15 butt that took 15 hours with Smokette 009 set at 225. Bumped up to 250 at end for a few hours. 1st Set of Loin Backs at 5.5 hours at 225 and another Butt, 7.5 lbs. at 18 hours.

My question, today (while it's smoking right now), I've been monitoring the inside temp of the smoker inside the vent hole at the top of the smoker. Both thermometers are giving me a reading about 198 with the smoker set at 250. It is NOT on an extension cord, and no GFI breaker.

I'm starting to believe that something is wrong with my element. I would tend to think that if you set the smoker at 225, you should achieve something around that temp. I've read about the temp swings, but mine is consistent, and low. I also believe my first three cooking times were somewhat extended. The times for my butt's were the times needed to get to 195...pulling temp.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this expected until the meat really gets cooking? I had the ribs refrig'd overnight, set out about 1 hour before I put in the smoker (not preheated).

Thanks in advance for your responses. I know I'll get many answers, suggestions, and comments.

Thanks again,
C'Nooga Smoke
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ark,

Well, after setting to 250, it did make it to 226. Guess the meat finally heated up and allowed the temp to climb. I'd still expect the smoker itself to get to around 250 if you set it there, likewise at 225.

I'll see how the ribs turn out, and then decide whether or not to call CS. I'll let you know what they have to say concerning this.
My first smoke 3 days ago was 2lbs of chicken breasts, big mistake, went to 300 and stayed there, could not control temp, soon as I put a 15lb brisket in everything was right on!! took 23 hours to cook, then a 10lb pork 23 more hours, then ribs worked well controlled better, but I was in a panick in the beginning. I've only smoked for 3 days now but small loads are hard on the controller as far as I can see, hopefully seasoning the smoker will help out. My smoker is getting a rest now.
Hey Chattanooga,

Even if the ribs turn out OK, still give CS a call. Tell them what you're experiencing, and they'll let you know if it's normal or not. You didn't mention how long you've been in the cook cycle, but from the gist your post, I assume it's been more than an hour or two. If something is off, they will help you troubleshoot. BBQ is low and slow, but no need to make it slower than it has to be, right? Hope the ribs turned out good either way.
Yeah, ribs turned out okay. They went for 4.5 hours, but I still think I could have gone longer. I like the ribs to be more towards the fall off the bone stage then the rib/tug (whatever it's called) stage. Do you all think just a longer time would achieve this.

I'm also changing in the future to Apple wood. The hickory (i used 2 nice chunks from CS) was pretty heavy.

All in all, the ribs were good. Had a friend who took the remaining half slab home for breakfast.

Happy Q'ing!
Okie,

I think the ribs could have gone even longer.

Called CS, and they're going to have me do a temp test over 3 hours with an empty smokette. That makes sense to me, said the temp average over 3 hours, with a temp reading every 10-15 minutes should be right on the knob setting. So, I'm going to do that this weekend.

CS was very helpful.
I curious what your test results will show. I have a 009 and it is wired for 220 VAC. My first couple of smokes the unit had the normal temperature swings. Now when I set the unit on 225, I'm lucky to see a high of 212 degrees. I have my remote temp probe in the unit in the same position every time. Make sure you post your results because this is a common concern.

I personally just compensate for the lower temperature. I actually prefer the lower temp so my meat cooks nice and slow.
Wheelz is correct about my voltage. I live in Germany with the good old USAF. I plan on retiring here so I called Cookshack and asked if they could wire my unit for 220 VAC. They said yes and for a mere $53 they did a European conversion. I had to cut the plug off they sent me and put a German plug on. I also had a friend send me my unit on a C-17 Globemaster III transport. Talk about cordination in getting it delivered to where I live. The effort was well worth it and more importantly, my wife loves it when I cook on my unit. Did I mention that Cookshack que goes great with beer that has been brewed since the 1750s?
Papa P...

Well, that explains it. If I�d bothered to look at where you live I might have figured it out. Our beer here in the States has been �dumbed� down over the years to the point that it�s hardly beer at all. But, it still manages to taste pretty good on a hot day�.How is your �Q� being received across the pond? Anybody else, (except expat�s of course), like our US style �Q�? Making any converts over there for CS? Heck, you might open up a whole new line and a whole new territory for our friends at CS.

arkansasQer
quote:
Originally posted by Papa-Pigs-BBQ-Barn:
[qb] I live in Germany with the good old USAF. [/qb]
My son is over there as well. He is stationed at Spangdahlem (sp?) Just returned there from Baghdad. He came home for a week after returning to Germany and will return for a couple of weeks at end of July to get married.. then back to Deutchland for the rest of his duty.. about April 06

BTW, what is the specialty beer of Frankfurt? We have friends in Dusseldorf and they make a great beer called Altbier.. MMMMMM great
Smokenque, I was stationed at Spangdahlem AB from Sep 95 - Jul 98. It is out in the middle of no where. However, it is 10 miles from the famous Bitburg Brewery. The excess heat from the brewery is used to heat the Bitburg Base Annex with hot water. If we could only figure out how to tap into their beer...Tell your son there is a lot of great traveling to do in his neck of the woods. The Battle of the Bulge (the World War II battle and not a BBQ feed)is just up the road from him.

Hippie is correct about brewing beer for a long time. I'm pretty sure the German Beer Purity Act is from 1654. The Act said they could only use 4 ingredients to make beer and still call it beer. It is on every label of beer but I forgot to look at a bottle and I'm at work now.

Enjoy your que with a beverage of your choice. Remember, "Friends don't let friends make bad que."
Raider Bill, Germany has over 1,200 breweries that produce over 5,000 types of beer. Add the Dutch, Belgium and countries and I never have to drink the same beer twice in a lifetime. I have no experience brewing beer so I cannot help you. Send a note to MainelyDave, I'm pretty sure he brews his own beer.
Buy the book "The Complete Joy of Brewing" written by Charlie Papizian. Great resource. It's how I learned to brew. (pre-internet days...)

There also a monthly magazine called "Zymurgy". Details here: http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/zymurgy.html

I'm sure there's probably tons of websites as well. Try a Google Search.

Key thing for good beer are fresh ingredients, clean equipment, and patience.

I'd start simple, and brew with canned malt extracts and hop pellets, then move on to more sophisticated techniques such as all-wheat brewing later. Buy a nice glass car-boy as a fermentation vessel. Consider buying either a "roto-keg", or converting a draft soda canister to store your finished product. Bottling beer is a pain in the butt and time consuming.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.