Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Slade,

It also depends on how your gfci outlet is wired and what other things may be included in that circuit. GFCI plugs have 2 different sets of terminals - one called "line" and one called "load." If there are other plugs that are on the same circuit wired into the "load" side of your gfci then those items (like a refigerator, toaster oven, etc.) must be included in the load calculation and if the total is close to the 15 amp rating of the gfci it will trip just like a circuit breaker would.

Also, if there is more than one gfci device in a single circuit you can have the same problem.

This issue can get a little complex if you are not familiar with house wiring.

Try using a non-gfci plug circuit, if possible. If not, and if you are not comfortable working with electrical issues, you may have to hire an electrician. Frowner
This topic has been on the forum before. You probably will have to have Cookshack send you a new thermostat to change out. I had the same problem on one GFI even when my electrician replaced it. As mentioned above (and my electrician told me), the unit is probably not fully grounded and some current is leaking out, tripping the GFI. My electrician swears it is not a GFI problem. If you search the forum you will find a few other owners solved the problem changing out the thermostat. I was geeting set to do the same but was able to get my Model 50 to work on a different circut in my yard.
Ok, my area of expertise has been breached. I worked for GE Supply and sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000-10000 GFI recepticles over a 3 year period and have been in electrical and electronics for 24 years.

Once a GFI breaker has tripped it is no longer rated the same as it was prior to tripping. Did you ever notice they say test once a month.....

Well Don't do it!!!!

Just leave them be once they are installed, and if they ever do trip it is for good reason.
You just need to replace it. They cost very little and regardless whether it is being caused by the smoker or not, once they are tripped they are no longer rated at what they once were. So if it has tripped a number of times it will require less and less current flow to trip it in the future. You may place something in your smoker and wake up the next morning and find your smoker cold and lifeless. This is fact.

They trip based on current flow and not voltage. Being that your smoker is basically a partial short when in operation, there will definately be current flow.
tony,
thanks for that one. living in a house built in 1895 we are well below current standards. heck it won't even meet fha but now i know why my electrician told me not to even consider gfi recepticles without a complete rewire of the house(and yes we still have some old porcelin insulators in the attic but i don't like going up there what with the insulation being a stringy looking mass of minerals)
but it does explain why my neighbor is always replacing the things. man this forum is great!! i learn all kinds of stuff here!! thanks
jack Big Grin
Ok, I will weigh in on this one and try not to be too technical. Tony, you are sort of correct with your statement of "Once the GFCI breaker has tripped it is not rated the same as it was prior to tripping" What I think you are saying is when a general purpose thermal magnetic circuit breaker (the type used in our homes) trips under a fault condition (even once, if the fault current meets or exceeds the maximum current rating) the circuit breaker may require replacement. That is a correct statement. Please don't confuse this with the required monthly test. U.L. (Underwriters Laboratories-which tests all sorts of things from circuit breakers, smoke detectors to electric smokers) as a part of the listing will require a device manufacturer to supply installation and useage (operation)instructions. Typically the manufacturer of a GFCI receptacle or a GFCI circuit breaker will require the user to test the device at a monthly time interval to provide reasonable assurance that the device is funtioning correctly. Doing the requied monthly test will not shorten the design life of the equipment and will also provide reasonable asssurance that the GFCI will fuction properly when called upon to protect you or anybody else from being electricuted! Just an aside, I have had to replace large (and very expensive) circuit breakers in instiutional and industrial electrical power panels because they have not been operated yearly! (Those darn old U.L. listing instrucitons again) After many years of not being operated, the mechaninism inside the circuit breaker seizes and the circuit breaker will not open or if it does open it cannot be turned on again. Just as following instructions is very important when smoking a nice beef brisket. So are the instructions for proper operation of the electrical and mechanical equipment in our homes and businesses. Another interesting bit of information regarding U.L. and leakage current. A standard GFCI recptacle or GFCI circuit breaker is designed and tested to trip at a .004 to .006 ampere current. When you press the test button you are simulating a .005 ampere leakage current. U.L requires all cord connected electrical appliances to have a maximum leakage current of .002 ampere. So if your appliance trips when plugged into a GFCI protected cirucit mostly likely it has a problem and should be replace or repaired. Roger
Thanks for the advice everybody, I'm testing some things now and as soon as I know something I'll post the findings. I've tested the element and it may be shorting. I contacted CS and they reply immediately. I was supposed to contact them by phone today, but the line was busy every time that I called. Now if it is the element shorting and I replace it, do I still need to replace the gfci outlet since the smoker did trip it? I just bought it this past weekend and I'm sure I can exchange it. Thanks again.
I had my GFI circuit trip on my last smoke. First time for everything. It was not the GFI that tripped but was the circuit breaker on that circuit.. turns out my wife was using the hair dryer while I was smoking.

I don't know about your circuits.. but I have ONE circuit the GFI in my house.. and on that circuit are about four duplex recepticles running to that one GFI. Same in my garage. I doubt that this is uncommon.

So, the question might be.. if your situation is like mine.. was something else being used on that circuit?

Before I found this out.. I thought I only had one GFI in my house.. but both bathrooms are and my outdoor/porch duplex are all controlled by that one GFI.
Well, I got it fixed.

I tested my element and found that it was shorting. I bought a new one at Allied Kenco for about $24. I put it in this morning and now I'm in the process of seasoning the smoker. I think eventually I'll replace the GFCI outlet with a regular heavy duty one. Thanks for the help everybody.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.