Skip to main content

Bought a 3.5lb round roast and covered it with garlic-pepper. Threw some hickory in my smoker (same amount as usual) and put the roast in and set the temp to 250 degrees. After about 30 minutes, I saw the normal puff of smoke. After 40 minutes my temps weren't registering?? I pulled and fiddled with my probe (my temp probe) and the temp alarm went up to 300 degrees!!!! I knew I had a bad probe. Used a different probe and it was normal. Decided to open the door and switch probes. The outside temps were in the high 30's with wind gusts up to 40 mph. As I opened the smoker door all I saw was a LARGE flame of fire!! Cheeeeezus!!! I shut the door and turned off the smoker. I knew everything was safe as long as the smoker was shut. I ran the new probe in and opened the door again, no fire, but I saw small flames puffing out of the fire box intermittantly. After switching probes and starting to get normal readings I closed the door and turned the smoker back on to 250*. After 45 minutes the internal meat temp still says 37 degrees???? I would have thought it would have climbed to 42 or so by now???

This is the first time I had a FIREBALL jump out of the smoker. I'm thinking when I opened the door, the wind blew right inside providing the O2 for the high temps inside causing the fire.

The smoker looks fine so far, good thing I didn't smoke in my garage like I was originally thinking. What a surprise!!

I just hope my roast turnes out. I want to smoke it to 135 degrees then pull and let it rest. I'm hoping for thinly sliced roast beef sandwhiches....

I'll update later if I don't burn down my house....whew!!!

dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Everything turned out great!!! The roast was very juicy, nice smoke flavor and the garlic/pepper crust was fantastic!!! I just had two helpings. It was paired with my rice salad which after a day in the frige was perfect!!!

I should have taken it out of the smoker at 130 instead of 135, but it was still great. I'll never cook another roast on the grill or oven again.

I have some pictures I'll post tomorrow is I don't forget!!!

Hmmmm! Hmmmm! Goooood!!

Wild Rice Salad
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Ingredients
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup wild rice ( messed up and bought pecan flavored rice)
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and halved, reserve marinade
1 (6-ounce) can green peas
1/3 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper ( I used sweet red bell pepper)
3 green onions, chopped, white and green parts (next time I�ll use 4 stalks)
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (I just used about � to � of a small container)
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, for garnish (I used a whole 2.5 oz package)

Dressing:
1 1/3 cups canola oil (didn�t have canola, so I used olive oil the first time and this time I used Almond oil) and only one cup)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (first time I used fresh grated, this time I used the stuff in the green cardboard container)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed (didn�t have any)
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced

Instructions
In a 1-quart pot with a lid, bring 2 cups water and the salt to a boil.
Add the rice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Drain excess liquid from the rice. (wasn�t necessary for me)

Meanwhile, combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well. Didn�t have a big enough jar, used a bowel and used a wisk)
Refrigerate until ready to use.

In a large bowl, combine the rice, artichoke hearts, peas, green pepper, green onions, tomatoes, reserved marinade, and half of the dressing. Toss well. Cover and chill or eat at room temperature.
Just before serving, toss again and taste. Add some of the remaining dressing, if desired. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve.

Ok.....what's next!!!!

dan
I had my 050 make a sound kind of like a Jet motor scream, and when I opened the door there was a fire inside. I think there was too much fat build up on the bottom. (did not poke a hole in the foil on the bottom of the smoker to let drippings out) I was sitting next to it stuffing summer sausages You are right pretty SPOOKY! But no damage done to the smoker or meat inside either.
Dave/Rhino

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.