Skip to main content

looking for advice:
I have graduated from backyard pellet smoking on my Louisiana grill to full time bbq catering and sales. (soon)
I am looking to build a mobile bbq concession trailer with a porch to accommodate an FEC 500.
I will also use the Cookshack charbroiler. My question is simple: Any recommendations for a trailer manufacture?
I have several quotes which range from 65k to 115k There has got to be a better option out there that I don't know about.

thanks for your help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Willie,

It takes a lot of sandwiches to chew through $100k. I'm running out of a 26' truck that I built myself and have had tons of compliments on, especially from the health depts. Are you handy with tools and have a little free time? Here in KC we got tons of trucks and trailers running around and the one's in the most $$ trouble are the big new fancy rigs that got big payments. If you're a little handy, you can build your own custom rig to get you started for a reasonable price.
Building my own has not been an option as I really don't know a lot about doing that. However, I am getting to the point of being ready to learn! While I do have 150k cash on hand, I'm not wanting to invest more than I need to. Not being in debt to anyone will be nice for our small company and ease the pressure. I do want to have the best equipment as I have the "best" product!
I am always afraid that buying a used vehicle is buying somebody else's problems. I have family in KC and will have them keep an eye out for me for a deal that could really be too good to pass up.
If I were to buy a trailer and install the equipment myself, do you have any suggestions on how I might "learn" to do so?
Thanks for you insight.
There really isn't a lot that can go wrong with a trailer, no engine or tranny type stuff to mess with. Wheel bearings and brakes are easy to replace so as long as the frame is straight I would not be the least bit afraid of buying used.
Like Coach said, there is a bunch out there right now
When you coming to KC next? I've got dozens of friends in the food tuck/trailer biz. I would be happy to show you around and get you inside a bunch of different operating trucks and trailers so you can decide what fits you best. I just sold, closer to gave, a guy in KS a bunch of equipment out of my restaurant to put in his trailer. I've built some of the trucks and outfitted some trailers here in KC. Not too tough and the best way to get what YOU want. If you're needing a wing to hang under to get started, I'm here. 816-810-2690

Jeff
Cargo Craft in Ambrose GA built mine. Installed the FEC 505. Framed the back wall so that I access the cooker from in the trailer. Didn't cost near the amount you are talking. Even after adding a 36" char grill 24" flat top
deep fryer freezer and fridge and plumbing the gas and hood I was less than your low number. Give them a call. May still be pics of mine in the pro section.
quote:
Originally posted by Willie's BBQ:
looking for advice:
I have graduated from backyard pellet smoking on my Louisiana grill to full time bbq catering and sales. (soon)
I am looking to build a mobile bbq concession trailer with a porch to accommodate an FEC 500.
I will also use the Cookshack charbroiler. My question is simple: Any recommendations for a trailer manufacture?
I have several quotes which range from 65k to 115k There has got to be a better option out there that I don't know about.

thanks for your help.

Best Built trailers in Bristol Tn seems to have some pretty good trailers listed on there web site. May look there.
Looking forward to seeing which way you end up going. I'm about 18-24 months away from this myself and can't express how encouraged I am to know I'll have such a helpful group of BBQ professionals to turn to when it is time. Till then I'm just soaking up all this knowledge and experience.
They are built by "South Georgia Cargo". They use imported door latches, that has been the only real problem I've had. All the custom stuff is done in Pearson GA. I'll have to put tires on it before spring because the stock ones are like all factory tires on cars and trucks, "low end of the price range". Be ready to get a 3/4 or 1 ton pull truck, I killed me 1/2 ton hemi Dodge. I also upgraded to 5200 lb axles, just in case I ever set a 500 on the porch. Good luck.
Well if that's the best you come up with??????

I was racing down in Fla one winter with a buddy and his dad. We were pulling a 44' goose neck with a dualley Chevy w/454 v-8.

Going from Punta Gorda to Ocala, and we twisted a crank shaft in half. They bought a diesel after that and no more problems.

Have you seen the one in Maryville yet?

RandyE

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.