Skip to main content

October 13 is a family wedding. My job is smoking about 120lbs of RAW Pork Butt in my FEC 100. I understand I'm going to have to rotate racks, etc. BUT, about how much time should I estimate the entire cook to take at 224?
I plan on starting Friday Oct 12 mid morning and figure it will take probably around 24 hours? and if it finishes early I'll wrap and place in a modified cooler to keep them warm.
Am I close? Should I allow longer? a higher temp? I've smoked several butts and briskets but, never 100-120 RAW lbs. (Serving is at 6pm Sat) HELP PLEASE!!!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have smoked 140 lbs of butts on my FEC 100 and did not take that long. I would put them on at 6 PM and start taking them off at 6 am the next morning with the last ones coming off in the 10-11 AM timeframe. You will find the FEC100 actually becomes more efficient with a full load of butts than for smaller loads. As you can tell, I would not start Fri. morning. I would do exactly my same time schedule as above. And I would give the first four hours at 180 for a little extra smoke and then bump it up to 230 for the remainder of the time. Wrap in foil when done and put in a Cambro or a pre-heated cooler. And you will be good to go. Also, make sure you put your biggest butts in the hottest spots in your smoker. And once you take a finished butt from those spots, move another one into that spot.
so how did it go Briggsy? I agree, being done earlier is better. I've kept heavy meats hot (over 140) for over 8 hours before in preheated coleman coolers. Rotating is good, but remember, the cooler places in the fec are good for the smaller butts if you want them all to get done closer together; however, dun temp is still the final authority as to when to pull.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.