Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Vicki. I had not even noticed that.

I have been using the pre-cut Hormel SL ribs from Target for a while now. But lately, I have been getting more broken bones in them and that lets blood and/or marrow seep out which darkens the outside surface of the rib. Restaurant Depot even so often carries meats from Indiana Kitchen whose butts I have really liked in the past. Think I will try their full spares if I can find a case to see how they do. Elsewise, I will need to find a better source for ribs down here which is not an easy task.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:

I have been using the pre-cut Hormel SL ribs from Target for a while now. But lately, I have been getting more broken bones in them and that lets blood and/or marrow seep out which darkens the outside surface of the rib. Restaurant Depot even so often carries meats from Indiana Kitchen whose butts I have really liked in the past. Think I will try their full spares if I can find a case to see how they do. Elsewise, I will need to find a better source for ribs down here which is not an easy task.

Those look good enough to eat, RibDog! Great photo too...

I just broke down and bought a large rack of Hormel SL ribs from Target yesterday to try.

I bought some IK ribs from RD but thought there was not much meat to bone ratio. But then again I bought the last 3-pack in the case and prolly all the good ones were gone.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:

I just broke down and bought a large rack of Hormel SL ribs from Target yesterday to try.

I bought some IK ribs from RD but thought there was not much meat to bone ratio. But then again I bought the last 3-pack in the case and prolly all the good ones were gone.

It's interesting that you say that about the IK ribs. A friend of mine in Tampa had just picked up a case of their ribs and told there were four two-packs in each case. I like the idea of two-packs although I would like one packs even more.

Well, he said he was not overly enthused with them and that there were five two-packs in each case.

We'll see how they look next time I head over to RD. But we don't have too many choices to my knowledge down here in the Tampa Bay area.
quote:
quote:

It's interesting that you say that about the IK ribs. A friend of mine in Tampa had just picked up a case of their ribs and told there were four two-packs in each case. I like the idea of two-packs although I would like one packs even more.

Well, he said he was not overly enthused with them and that there were five two-packs in each case.

We'll see how they look next time I head over to RD. But we don't have too many choices to my knowledge down here in the Tampa Bay area.

I find Sam's has the best ribs in this area. Sometimes I find some good loinbacks at WalMart.

It drives Mrs. SmokinMAINEiac nuts, but I never leave a market without checking the meat counter for specials and to keep tabs on prices. I bought 18 3#-4# cryovac chickens at Sweet bay once for 79 cents a pound. They are nice, plump yardbirds.

I have never been to a Costco, but they may have some good ribs there. Cheney Bros in Ocala is by the case only and I didn't find the prices to be anything special compared to RD.

I'd like to find a source for beef ribs at a good price where I don't have to buy a bulk amount (like at RD).
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
When I go to Costco they have 3 racks in a cryovac but they also have fresh cut ribs in just styrofoam and plastic wrap. I have never bought the fresh ones. The 3 rack pack has been very good in my opinion. Has anyone tried the fresh ones or have an opinion on them?

They are the exact same ribs! I spoke with the manager and he said that they open the cryovacs and wrap singles or doubles for people who don't want or don't have room for 3 racks (think Big Green Egg Wink). When exposed to air the red blood color comes out (that's why they look "fresh"). I have had a couple of bad cryovacs (as have some friends)from COSTCO despite them being under the expiration date.It may be how they handle them here in SC. They will refund your money (just take the price sticker and throw out the meat Eeker) but it can leave you without meat. I now always open meat up in time to replace if needed (and get my ribs from SAMS Big Grin).
quote:
quote:

Happened to be in Target a little earlier today on an errand for my daughter, and when passing the food department I noticed that they had the Hormel SL spares on sale at $1.97/lb (normally $3.29). I've never had them before, but having seen them mentioned on the forum several times, thought I would give them a try. Got the 6 rack maximum, each weighing 3.25-3.5 lbs. Hope they work out. Hard to beat the price.
Last edited by dls
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
When I go to Costco they have 3 racks in a cryovac but they also have fresh cut ribs in just styrofoam and plastic wrap. I have never bought the fresh ones. The 3 rack pack has been very good in my opinion. Has anyone tried the fresh ones or have an opinion on them?

They are the exact same ribs! I spoke with the manager and he said that they open the cryovacs and wrap singles or doubles for people who don't want or don't have room for 3 racks (think Big Green Egg Wink). When exposed to air the red blood color comes out (that's why they look "fresh"). I have had a couple of bad cryovacs (as have some friends)from COSTCO despite them being under the expiration date.It may be how they handle them here in SC. They will refund your money (just take the price sticker and throw out the meat Eeker) but it can leave you without meat. I now always open meat up in time to replace if needed (and get my ribs from SAMS Big Grin).

Not sayin' the ribs you bought were not bad, but sometimes when you first open a cryovac of ribs there is a strong odor of spoiled meat. If you take the ribs out of the cryocac, rinse them and let them air out a bit they smell just fine. A meat cutter demonstated that for me once.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.