Skip to main content

Just finished my first batch of bacon on then FEC 100. 20 pounds of belly, cured for a week with high-mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure. Rinsed for four hours and hung up in the garage overnight. Smoked at 160 for six hours to internal temp of 145. Not as Dark as I like it, but I'll bet I got more smoke penetraton and less-a layer of outside soot. We'll cool them down in the fridge and slice to take home for holiday gifts.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Slide5
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, we're on vacation with all the bacon to be used as gifts. We've devoured some of it. Not as smoky as I'd like. I used the pellets that came with the smoker. They were in white bags and said CS/Fast Eddie on the bag and were checked hickory. Any suggestions? I like the outside of my bacon a rich tan to light brown color and you can tell by the pic, that it was not. Should I change pellets? Temps? Any suggestions?
Awesome........
Good question on color. I not sure but thought someone said that Fast Eddie changed to 100% hickory. You might try a Coolhigher temp to burn more pellets for more smoke. You might try changing the smoke profile a little. I like a cherry mixture for a darker color. I've heard that Eddie's pellets are good. Just so you no-I'm all in on bacon.
jjjhacker. That post was about a year old. I've done bacon six ways of Sunday since then. I like cherry, and I think I could taste cherry wood flavor in the bacon. I have not done apple yet, but did a brisket with apple and really like it. I've been using 200 percent hickory with the bacon, turns out great. I use BBQ delight pellets. I don't like then 100 percent hick. with jerky, turns out too dark wit not enough of a red smoke color. The Suger maple was my favorite for jerky. Keep smoking!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.