Skip to main content

Here's the plan. Cube Steak is on sale at a local grocer chain for 2.50/lb. I know the butcher and they are down-sizing their sirloin inventory after the holiday weekends. I'll get about 40-45 pounds of this and grind it thru a med plate. Add Hi. MTN Cracked Pepper and garlic seasoning (which I got on sale), stuff it in collagen 21mm casings and let it set overnight in the fridge. Friday when i get home from work, I'll snip them in 24" pieces and put em in the FEC at 160 for three hours, boost to 200 until internal 160. Take them out, let them cool overnight and snip them in thirds (eight inches) and vacuum seal them in one-pound packages (usually 7 to 8 sticks). I might mix a bit of honey mustard BBQ sauce in some of them before stuffing to see how it turns out. I did some last time they had the cube steak on sale. The meat was so good, I went back and bought 20 more pounds, ground it and put it up for lean hamburger in the freezer.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nurse, your're right, the temp is a constant struggle while grinding and stuffing. I think I'll grind and mix 20 pounds at a time, keep it in the fridge and stuff five pounds at a time as I only have a five pound stuffer. Oh, and bummer, the cube steak this time is not out of sirloin, but bottom round. it'll still be good!

And Mike, I use a 3/8 inch plate with the cubed steak. It's already chopped pretty good and the course plate is perfect. I only have a 3/16th beside which is way too fine. I need to purchace a 1/8th. I use the recipie off the hi mountain snack stick mix with thier mixes. It's dead on on what I want. Stuff's expensive though. The boxes cost 20.00 to process 20 pounds of meat. They do include collegen casings, which are in themselves quite expensive.
Here they are in the FEC. They pretty much filled six racks. Cut them 21 inches long, with intentions of subdividing them later into seven inch sticks. 20 pounds of these were a good load. In at 180, then down to 170 for a long five hour smoke. At the end, boosted them up to 195 until internal of 160-65. Did a one to three and four to six rotation and spun all six racks at the three hour point. Tried to keep NO sausage by the top left hotspot.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_IMG_2797
We did finish them and the taste is wonderful. Very lean, very flavorful. Finished product Cost about 4.41 a pound according to my sifering. Cubesteak was 2.50 a pound. (x 20) Seasonings and case was right at 20 dollars, and one pack did 20 pounds. (although I got this one on sale for 10, i'm still figuring 20). About 4 pounds of pellets (if that) at 40 cents a pound, so right around 4.41 a pound or so. I'll vacume seal them in one pound packs and they'll go like hotcakes at work. here's an extreme closeup. Oh, by the way, used 100 percent hickory pellets from BBQ delight. I ordered about 20 bags of them with my last halfton order.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_IMG_2805
Mike, I have a Lem 5# vertical one speed stainless steel. It has no issues doing the 21mm casings. Keep in mind that I add about 2 to 4 ounces of water (or liquid) to each pound of meat on snack sticks. This helps a lot. I read the LEM reviews and most said they had no problems if they add water to the mix on the smaller casings.

One little trick I picked up somwhere is to staple the ends of the stuffed casings shit with a household stapler. This worked pretty good until I ran out of staples about half way thru and had to resort to butcher's twine. Here's a pic of the stuffer.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Copy_of_496_1635_large
Last edited by chaplainbill
woops, forgot one last photo. I put up 15 generous one pound (probally a little over) vacuum sealed packs. Each pack contained between eight and nine seven-inch sticks. we had just under a pound of ends and pieces and probally consumed quite a bit in the process of 'cook's treating' ourselves.

Next time, I think I'll do a stick in the oven to compare with mine out of the FEC. My guess is the color and taste will not compare.

An interesting note, this is the third batch I've made of these in the last few months-two ten pound batches and this 20 pound ones. On the first batch, I had a cheap grinder (which I've since swapped), and due to my inexperience, I didn't realize sinue had rapped itself around the blade causing the meat to mush. I was also stuffing thru the grinder stuffing tube (prior to my stand-alone stuffer)at that time. Anyway, I ended up making emulsified snack sticks. Inside, they had the texture of hotdogs, but were still tasty, just different.

Here's the last closeup photo from this batch.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_IMG_2806_-_Copy
Last edited by chaplainbill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.