Skip to main content

My local grocery store had cheese on sale for $2.18/lb last week. So I loaded up with an assortment of 10 pounds.
This is a first for me, so be gentle. I've read to smoke anywhere from 2 hours to 10 hours.
So I took a chance on 3 hours in the smoke. We will see how it tastes this weekend.
The load

Fire in the hole with a covered #10 can

Now that is some serious smoke. I'm not used to that.

Temp is lookin' good

Thin Blue?

Taste test tomorrow.
If it's not smoky enough, I may have to go with another round of smoke. Anybody ever do that before?
Thanks for lookin'
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Grand Finale

Sliced em up with my little handy dandy, yard sale, $2, POS Rival Slicer with Mods.

Ahhh, that smell when you open the bag is beyond words.
Not much of a Smoke Ring.
That must be common. This is my first round with cheese.
OMG, the flavor of each variety is out of this world. If you have never tried smoking cheese, do so.
"So, shut up and show me the cheese!"
"OK"

Pepper Jack

Colby Jack

Aged Cheddar

Mozzarella

Didn't slice, gonna save and shred that for pizzas.
Thanks for lookin'. I do hope y'all will try this. Ya won't be sorry.
Thinking of doing some cheese in my smoker this week. I see that you just have some charcoal and wood in a #10 can. How long did you smoke it like that? One can worth of charcoal? I was thinking of putting a pan of ice on the bottom rack, leaving the baffle in place, and using the can of charcoal with some pellets thrown on top of the charcoal. Think that's stupid?
quote:
How long did you smoke it like that?

It was about 2 hours on the soft (Mozz and Jack) and 3 hours on the hard (cheddar)
quote:
I was thinking of putting a pan of ice on the bottom rack, leaving the baffle in place

That will work great.
quote:
One can worth of charcoal?

Way too much. You want temps around 8oF. 2 or 3 briquettes will get you there.
quote:
using the can of charcoal with some pellets thrown on top of the charcoal.

Once I got it going, I used a couple chunks of hickory per hour. No pellets, they go away too fast.
HTH, vac pack em and wait at least 2 weeks before opening. I prefer longer.
Good luck, take pics and keep us posted.

If you go above 100F, this will happen. I used (1st time) an old freezer with the Amazin Tube Smoker in it. When I saw the temp inside, I knew what to expect. These WERE 1# chunks.

Gunny: I have never seen an FEC-100, so don't know how they work. I have been smoking cheese for close to 10 years. I started with the SM009, and now the SM045. I have the cold smoke baffel for both. I put the baffel in the freezer for 24 to 48 hours, and then put a pan of ice on top of it. Load wood and cheese, and turn the smoker on until I get a good smoke rolling (15 to 20 minutes), and turn it off. The wood will continue to smolder. I wait an hour, turn the cheese 1/4 turn, check the wood, and ice in the pan, and repeat the process. 4 to 6 hours of this works for me. Really soft cheese I wrap in cheese cloth soaked in water. I don't like Swiss cheese, but smoked Swiss is a different animal all together. Treat yourself to a true delight. Smoked cheese on a slice of fresh crisp apple.
Mr T, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has pulled that trick.
Thanks for the heads up on the links. I gotta read those.

Mike, I don't have that option of shutting off the FEC and continue to smoke. That's why I have the can and an Amazin Tube Smoker.
The FEC is well insulated, so you still have to keep an eye on the temps. Gotta love an ET-732.
Thanks for the cheese cloth tip. Next time on the Mozz for sure.
Yes, I love smoked sharp cheddar on a slice of apple. I can eat a pound of each.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.