Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Can we assume you have a firm foundation in both meats using an electric or offset smoker?

Quality of pellets is a critical factor with the FEC. I have no idea what you have available in the UK. The Cookshack/Fast Eddy Hickory or Mesquite pellets are my favorites.

Pellets trade off smoke for heat; the higher the heat the less smoke. Many FEC cooks will start with a low (170-180) cook temp for the 1st 6-8 hrs to impart more smoke flavor, then finish at 250o for the remainder of the cook.
Thanks MaxQue. I'm using CS hickory. My shoulders are normally smoked at 160 for the first 5 hrs then up to 226 for the remander of the time (around 10 hrs). My brisket is 160 for 2 hours then bumped up to 230 for about 4 hrs. On both I go by a final internal temp.

I am just trying to get info on doing the brsket in a hot smoker without the initial 2 hrs at 160.
I have somewhat the same question. When cooking in comps, I'm curious to know if cooks using one fec for both meats stagger the times they put the brisket on later than the butts or do they do both at the same time? I have found that when I put both on at the same time for the low heat smoke bath, my briskets are done about 3 hours+ earlier than butts so I have a longer Cambro hold time.

I actually have ribs on sometimes before brisket and butts are done thus cross/dripping on the prize.

I'm curious and looking for ideas.

Thanks in Advance.
As I read this, I'm not sure it's a "comp" question. The OP was just wanting to take it to the next level.

As he's from the UK, I'm guessing he's not hitting KCBS contests.

Hog, when you say "to the next level" doesn't really tell me what you're wanting to do.

Are you happy with what you have, just want to change something?

Are you just wanting to know how to cook the two of them together?

Little more detail and I'll share some thoughts.
Sounds to me like maybe you are cooking a regular sized butt,rather than a shoulder?Maybe 7-8 lbs?

A small flat 4-5 lbs?

There is nothing you can do wrong to a butt,except undercook it.
I'd think get that butt on with your regular method,time it to come out about 4-5 hrs early,wrap and cambro until needed.

Get the brisket on at the butt temp and plan on eight hrs from serving time.probably be ready in five hrs,wrap and cambro until ready.

The brisket is the critical finish temp.
This way both meats get at least 3 hrs in the wrap and you can be doing other things that need doing.

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.