Skip to main content

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum & to the FEC. I just bought a used FEC 100 that came with a meat probe. I fired her up for the first cook the other day on about 12 butts. When I set the mode to Probe & set all the temps, plugged the probe into the IQ4 Controller, & then plugged the meat end of the probe into the middle of one of my butts, the temperature reading was all over the place. It jumped from 55 degrees to 180 degrees back & forth. I let it do this for several minutes & it did not seem to settle in. It worried me to the point that I ended up just taking it out & not using it b/c I was afraid that it would spike to the set meat temp & go into hold mode way too soon. Anyone else had this issue? Should I have given it more time to settle in? Any insight would be great appreciated.

Also, is it ok to post the same question in two different forums?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Poor Piggy,
I have the same issue with my A/Q. Was worried about it at first as it would not read correctly when placed in large meats that were cool. Found that it does not read correctly at lower temps but once the meat started to warm, everything was okay. Read within a couple degrees from my Thermo Pen. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Poor Piggy:
Also, is it ok to post the same question in two different forums?

Nope, we're all basically one BIG forum. I'll always delete the duplicates. Reason is that you'll get multiple answer and they should all be in one thread, not multiple threads.

FE has a set of forums.
The electrics have a set for forums.

So, to your question. Probes are what can go wrong if they're not taken care of. They also will be erratic as the lower temps. Maybe wait for the meat temp to get a little higher and see how it works.

Moderator Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.