Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Freddie/Love Shack BBQ:
I have had it for two weeks in a cold fridge and it was still good.
Wow, that's a loooong time for leftovers. I try to freeze extra by 2nd/3rd day, but often still eating on the 4th day. After that.... bye.

2 weeks. That bends the curve. Rethinking...
quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
USDA suggest 3-4 days for home cooked pork per their "Home Storage of Fresh Pork" chart on the Safety of Fresh Pork...from Farm to Table web page.

FSIS is a good place to start for Food Safety. Keep in mind, that a LARGE percentage of what people call the flu are actually cases of Food Poisoning (if it goes away in 24 hours it was FP)... Generally speaking, don't quote me.

I'm with Q on this one. If you have to ask, it's been too long.

TWO WEEKS? Never. One week is stretching it actually, more than double the recommended.

Can you eat it, probably. Do you want to risk it? That's your call.

I don't. You don't know who will have a low tolerance for the food bacteria that will be there after that length of time.

There are just TOO many improper food safety things we do at home that actually decrease the "safe" time, so that just adds to the problem, so the adage still applies...

When in doubt, throw it out
Smokin' as usual you are correct with USDA and any puplic Q joint.With that being said I'm still with FF. I know how my meat,counter,smoker has been taking care of and as stated this is going into AIRTIGHT tupperware containers. But you are correct, a guy can't be to safe because you never know more about the meat than what you have seen YOURSELF and thats not the whole story.
So as you all know i am a Backyard Cooker... so with that said it looks like max 7 days for Beef and 4 days for Pork kept on the top shelf in the fridge witch its the coldest part of my fridge, im trying to get a handle on when not to eat it because i like Fast Freddie have eaten my tritips 12 days later and it tase as good as the 4th day and i never got sick, but i want to be somewhat safe and not kill the Family, keep the POST Comming i lean so much everyday that i owe it all to the responders.

Thanks for you reply folks,
When cooked ,I can't picture much difference in holding time,between pork and beef.

Cryovac fresh-yes.

Just habit,I try to get mine out of the refrig by the 4-5 day mark.

Quality tends to suffer ,if feeding others,sooner.

Not to say that I never found a piece at 7 days,gently reheated,very thoroughly,moisturized it and got by.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
When cooked ,I can't picture much difference in holding time,between pork and beef.

Cryovac fresh-yes.

Just habit,I try to get mine out of the refrig by the 4-5 day mark.

Quality tends to suffer ,if feeding others,sooner.

Not to say that I never found a piece at 7 days,gently reheated,very thoroughly,moisturized it and got by.

Good info Tom Thanks, i just ate my last of the TriTip 7 Days later and i do have to say it was very tasty, i couldnt taste the diffrence from 2 days old from 7 days old, i just didnt want the kids to get sick, so i posted the qustion, thanks for the input

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.