Skip to main content

I LOVE MY COOKSHACK 100!!!!
Since I have that probe to reach a certain temp; is there a guide to tell me the great temp to reach in all types of items? i'll be hot smoking?
i've smoked 4 times and perfect each time with being told beef at 160 degrees and chicken 190. that's about it. There is so much to enjoy. My neighbors just hang their heads over my fence and drool! HAR.
Thanks so much,
Smiley

Attachments

Images (1)
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum.

When you say probe, are you talking about the probe on the smoker and set it to cook on probe mode or just a finishing temp for a probe you insert and read?

Personally, my answer is always there is no "perfect" table showing the right number.

An example.

Beef to 160? Well, if that's a Prime Rib you're about 35 degrees to high. If it's Brisket, you're about 35 degree low.

Chicken to 190 will be overcooked.

I prefer to teach more details about a range of temps because what you think is right for you may not be the same for me.

Salmon. If I'm not smoking and I brined it, I go for about 140 to 145 and the carryover takes it to about 150.
Thanks so much for your reply
I have. The FEC100 w probe attached
Is there a place that simply lists the ideal temp goal to end up cooked enough but not raw? You are so right that we all have our own likes. I just seem to enjoy where the product is safe and still moist while being cooked. I thought there might be a "sweet spot temp" for most items?
Thanks
Smiley
Sure there are sites that list them and maybe someone else will, but it's just me, that I don't generate lists of temps because there are SO many more variables.

Pick an item, check the sub-forums on that topic (ribs, brisket) and you'll see why there is so much more than just temp.

Example. Thickness and location. If you put Salmon in the middle rack and put the probe in the middle one, the one on the outside left likely will finish sooner because on my two FEC's the back left is hotter.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.