Skip to main content

When doing both butts and briskets in your FEC-100, do you prefer butts over briskets, or briskets over butts? Does it matter much that the drippings from one gets on the other?

Also, I've read where people do it both ways. I've always done fat side up on both cuts of meats (even though I trim lean) any reason I should be doing fat down instead?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This question comes around every couple of months or so. I prefer butts over brisket for the basting effect. As for fat side up, I prefer butts fat side up...it provides a better bark IMHO. Brisket...depends on who you ask.

Someone asked about briskets up/down on facebook over the weekend and got about 50 replies equally divided. The best one was, "Every time a cook smokes a brisket fat side down, God kills a kitten." Smiler

Try using the FIND feature above entering a few keywords for your search. You'll get back a few hours worth of reading material.
If I were to cook briskets and butts together, which I usually don't because I have a different cooking routine for each, I would cook butts over briskets. Briskets, I cook fat side down and are cooked fat side up especially if the butts are over the briskets. Fat side down on the briskets to protect the flat from the heat and fat side up on butts because they would be farther away from the heat source in this scenario.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.