Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I bought a couple bags of Cabela's competition blend when they were on sale with free shipping. It doesn't say who makes them (?Traeger). The pellets were tiny pieces with more dust than other brands. They had a higher ash than CS & BBQ'ers. They worked but I wouldn't buy them again. If you find CookingPellets (Minnesota I think), give them a try. The shipping costs me more than the pellets so I buy bulk from Candy Sue. You can get UPS freight on 20 bags (400 pounds)& she lets you mix & match. Most other suppliers require 600 to 1000 pounds for freight rate with $75 upcharge for residential delivery.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I buy BBq delight in small quantities from charcoal store. $24.99 per 20pds. Free ground shipping.

http://charcoalstore.com/

Best price I have found for small quantities. I usually buy 40#s at a time.

CharcoalStore has been solid for me & they are a CS distributor. BigPoppa is another West Coast distributor of BBQ'ers Delight Pellets. You may want to compare. He has a lot of rubs etc. that you may be able to have thrown in on a shipment?

$24.99/20 pounds is $1.25/pound. My last 400 pound shipment was around 70 cents/pound. I split the order with a friend. If someone in your area competes/caters, you may be able to get some from them @ bulk rate.
Last edited by joem
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
I bought a couple bags of Cabela's competition blend when they were on sale with free shipping. It doesn't say who makes them (?Traeger). The pellets were tiny pieces with more dust than other brands. They had a higher ash than CS & BBQ'ers. They worked but I wouldn't buy them again. If you find CookingPellets (Minnesota I think), give them a try.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cabela's pellets. I might try one bag, since they're only a couple miles away from the house. Forgot about cookingpellets, heard good things about them. They're up in Racine Wi. Couple hour drive, and I can stop at the Brat Stop and the Mars Cheese Castle. Ya hey der, don'cha know!

Anyone ever hear of Cameron's pellets? Never heard of them. One of the local places carries them.
Last edited by andyj
Haven't tried them, but I think I will. Looks like there is a store a few towns away from me. And they are $5 cheaper than Cabela's. Joe, you were right about the Cabela's pellets. A LOT of ash, I wonder if they are made by Traeger? They used to carry Traeger pellets, now they are gone. And yep, some are very small pieces as and others are very long. Since I'm still new to pellet smoker's, I'll keep trying different brands that i can find locally for a while.
Did some googling today, the Gander Mountain pellets are made by Camp Chef. Found a thread on pelletheads about them, they are an Alder base with the flavor wood. They say they have a significant amount of flavor wood but don't want to reveal the exact amount. Also ran across HomComfort pellets, also Alder based at Home Depot free shipping to store. And Menard's has Pit Boss pellets, made by Louisiana Grills, but Menard's is only in Illinois & Wisconsin. I'll probably swing by Gander Mountain over the weekend. And the Pit Boss ones are pretty cheap too, $22 for 40lbs.

Looks like pellet grills are starting to get popular since all the big box stores have them now.
Two bad batches in a row from another company and they didn't seem to care so we have switched to Lumberjack pellets now. They DO sell direct so I would recommend giving them a call. Just got in 3 ton for $10.50 per bag in the 40# and $5.55 in the 20# (included shipping). They do have a small extra fee for the 20# bags but they sure are handy.

I think their base pricing is like $470 per ton + shipping. 3 ton shipped 350 miles to us was only $225 their rates are very reasonable. Ordered on Friday and they showed up the next Thursday.

I believe their base is red oak but don't quote me on that. I got some 100% hickory for the CB 36 and I'm really liking that.

Seth and Rob are the ones I always deal with.
Picked up a bag of the Orchard Apple Camp Chef pellets from Gander Mountain. Didn't have any other varieties, the Cabela's pellets are just about done so the next smoke will be with the Camp Chef pellets. They look pretty good, they're all about the same size, about 3/4", not much dust. The Cabela's pellets I won't be buying again. Lot of ash. I wonder who makes them for Cabela's, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Traeger since I heard that Treager leave a lot of ash as well.

I did just find a place not too far from work that carries, BBQrs Delight, Cookin Pellets & Lumberjack pellets. So I'll be trying those at some point.
About half way through the bag of pellets from Gander Mountain. So far they seem to be pretty good. Not as much ash as the Cabela's pellets, seems to be about the same amount of ash as the Lumberjack Cherry I tried first. The 20lb bags are convenient as you can dump the entire bag into the hopper. I'd buy them again.

Next on the agenda to try will be the Pit Boss pellets made by Louisiana Grills.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.