Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here's the thing about forums. Yup, some people have problems. Unfortunately you don't see posts from the people that don't have them. So you're doing the right thing to ask.

I'm not sure why, could be a bad batch of fans or controller chips. Maybe just a call to CS with your concerns, they might have a better explanation (they don't routinely monitor the forum).

Key thing is CS will work with each owner to make it right.

On my 4 that I've owned, never had a flame out.
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:
If you are satisfied with you current cookers, why are you considering the purchase of an FEC100? What will it allow to do that your other smokers will not?

I like the idea of more room, could cook everything on one unit. Also, the insulated cooker would probably hold temp netter in adverse conditions. Wind can kill temp control in the WSM.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Here's the thing about forums. Yup, some people have problems. Unfortunately you don't see posts from the people that don't have them. So you're doing the right thing to ask.

I'm not sure why, could be a bad batch of fans or controller chips. Maybe just a call to CS with your concerns, they might have a better explanation (they don't routinely monitor the forum).

Key thing is CS will work with each owner to make it right.

On my 4 that I've owned, never had a flame out.

OK here's one for you. I purchased a AQ 6 months ago, have spent the summer trying to wear it out, have tried to find a problem and can't, purchased some additional items from CS, got what I ordered, they said thank you, so for what it's worth everything has been puppies and rainbows for me. Only thing I would have changed is wish I had bought a bigger unit, because size does matter.
Well, first off, I have been cooking on an FEC100 since 2004 and have never had a flame out myself. That being said for an old Traeger controller model and also a second FEC100 that I have which is an IQ4 unit. The only thing I have ever had to replace is I think a fuse one time and a temp probe another. Both of these were on the older unit

Second, I agree with your thoughts on the temp control from the FEC100 vs. the WSM. I first learned to cook que on two WSMs. Excellent smokers but hard on temp control in windy conditions.

Capacity is great on the FEC100. In fact, the smoker seems to work more efficiently with a full load. And by full load I am speaking of sixteen pork butts weighing about 120-130 lbs.

Last, I agree 110% with Smokin on talking with the CS people. They are the ones who would deal with any problems on a regular basis.

I have never regretted my purchases of the FEC100s. I look to have these two smokers for a very long time!
I am now on my second fec. First one was the stainless pot, never once had a flame out.

Newest one was built in April with the cast iron pot. So far no issues with that one.

I have only done one 4 hour cook with it but the pot was no where near full of ash or pellets when I checked at the end of the cook.

I was super windy when I did that last cook too.
I had the exact same concerns. I was all ready to do the purchase and decided to call cookshack first....I got no crap statements/runarounds from them...they were friendly and acknowledged a problem...and... They are taking care of the issue in their new builds. Like SmokinOkie says, give them a call. I did, and I felt this company is and will back their product. As a result, I made the purchase (9/30/11) and am waiting for mine to be built and shipped. Amazingly, I would usually be sceptical but I have no regrets or buyers remorse; because I believe this is one of the TOP smokers and companies out there.... call em.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.