Skip to main content

I'm going to load my 120 up more than I have before. I plan on doing 10-12 butts and a brisket on the 23rd. I want them done by noon on the 24th. The most I've done before is 6 butts. They took about 12 hours or so, but I also had some that took 17 hours. Not sure why there was such a difference except that the slower cook I set it to 226 instead of 250. Since I'm doing a brisket with the butts, I plan on setting it at 226. Any advice on a time frame? Just a little apprehensive since I've never put this much in it. I'm cooking the butts for various people so would like to be able to deliver them around noon. Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a FEC120 ?? IF so here are the specs that Cookshack lists here for your unit.

http://www.cookshack.com/store...okshack-Model-FEC120

So if you figure each pork butt is what 9-11 pounds that means right there you got about 120 pounds, or roughly the units stated weight for pork butts. I don't have the same unit, I have an SM150, but if I was gonna do a max load on my 150 I would set my cook temp higher than 225 (which is about what I usually run at with a small load of say 12-18 pounds of product). I'd go 250 at least. Hopefully the guys can chime in soon. I was looking at the photos in the specs, doggone that is a fine smoker
Last edited by bigmikeinnj
How big are the PB's? Size is more important than # (but you knew that) LOL.

I and others I've seen post have done our 100's with full loads of PB's (16) and it add a little time because of the shear cold mass. Are you trying to give these to people while still warm when you deliver? Or wrapped, cold and they have to reheat?
I'm not sure on actual dimensions of the butts, but I'd guess about 12X7X4, and anywhere from 7-10 lbs each. I'd considered running it a little hotter, but I've never done a brisket at anything above 226. Although I know many people do.

I plan on wrapping them and delivering them hot. Just give them instructions to FTC until they're ready to serve. Most will be eating it Christmas Eve.

Reckon I could foil the butts if they're taking a long time. But I've never foiled one while cooking.

The 120 will be at near weight capacity I do believe! Keep getting more people wanting bbq. Speaks volumes to the quality of the Cookshack product!
It just cooks a little faster, if you are worried don't trim so much fat off that upper cap, also remember you're gonna have a very moist environment what with all those pork butts in there. Set it up so they "baste" the brisket with drippings as it all cooks. Having watched some compeition shows on the cable channels that Myron Mixon was judging on if they were pressed for time some would just cook at a higher temp. The fellas here will weigh in.

Good luck
I got all the butts on and prepped the brisket. Went to put the brisket on and noticed the smoker was at 60 degrees. Long story short I cleaned the firepot out and it worked. It was caked in there. I vacuum it out pretty regular too. Lesson learned I guess. I was pretty dang worried considering I had $330 of meat in there. Wasted a bunch of pellets during the burnout but oh well.

I did raise the temp to 276 though because my Maverick was reading 200 degrees. It still is sitting around 228 but rising very slowly. I praise all those who load a bunch of meat frequently. Such a temperature difference. Crazy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.