Skip to main content

Given all the food grade pellets on the market, I'd be curious to know which pellet is your tried and true favorite...manufacturer and pellet flavor.

Over the last 8 years I've used:
Traeger (hickory)
CS/FE (hickory + mesquite)
Fast Eddy's Hickory (100%)
BBQ Delight (hickory + peach)
Lumberjack Hickory (100%)

If I had to choose a favorite/least favorite, they'd be:
CS/FE Mesquite/Traeger Hickory

What say the rest of you pellet poopers?

Perhaps this should be posted in the "wood" forum but 1.) I thougt few would see it. 2.) Almost all the "wood" posts deal with chuck wood; not pellets. Given the number of CS products that require pellets, maybe a separate "Pellet" topic is in order?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It probably could be under wood, but this is a better place for it.

Least favorite (because of quality) would be the Traeger. Not much flavor and too much ash.

I don't see cherry on your list but LOVE cherry on pork. Gives the pork a great flavor. The current CS "fruit" pellets are cherry, but the flavor depends on the availability of the wood, so sometimes it will be other fruit wood. When I competed I used BBQ Delight CHerry.

I too like the CS Mesquite, but I blend it with Pecan 50/50. I'm NOT a fan of Mesquite for smoking in a stick burner, but the heavier flavor of the mesquite and the light pecan work for me.
Last edited by Former Member
Down south,because of Myron ,Buster,and a couple other south GA cooks,Candysue started putting out peach pellets.

Guess it would be ok on poultry breast,etc-kinda like our citrus woods.Doesn't fit my profiles.

Most of us are kinda weak on the original Traegar blends with the alder.

We had good results with CS/FE hickory and Eddy's hickory.I personally like some pecan and some apple on some products.

When you learn from Eddy and you often cook comps,he stresses using one pellet all the way thru the cook for time and confusion sake.

In the South,you get used to hickory.

Like Smokin',I have a hard time making mesquite fit my flavor profile,so I don't use it much.

Not bad for short cooks on catfish fillets,though.

I'm probably not a great cook to pick pellet brands I can't live without.

As a cook,or judge,I usually notice strong,off,offensive,throws off the profile,etc.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
Are you guys the FE 100% Hickory directly from Ed? If not, where?

You have to get the FE 100% Hickory from Eddie, give him a call or drop him an email.
I bought 1000 lbs, should have bought 2000lbs for the shipping savings. Same price to ship 1000 lbs or 2000 lbs. Going to use them at some point, and I can keep them inside the house, so they stay nice and dry. But I guess I need to try other pellets too.

quote:
Originally posted by WayneB:
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
Are you guys the FE 100% Hickory directly from Ed? If not, where?

You have to get the FE 100% Hickory from Eddie, give him a call or drop him an email.
I bought 1000 lbs, should have bought 2000lbs for the shipping savings. Same price to ship 1000 lbs or 2000 lbs. Going to use them at some point, and I can keep them inside the house, so they stay nice and dry. But I guess I need to try other pellets too.

I can only imagine the look on my wife's face when a truck dropped off a TON of pellets and I told her we were keeping them in the house! Eeker
My favorite for taste is BBQer's Delight Black Walnut. No other pellet compares for deep smoke taste imho but the density of this brand of pellet has been inconsistent (I was using their pecan pellets when the pin on my auger sheared). I use GLRE Lumberjack hickory because it is a consistent and inexpensive product by the ton. Trager pellets seem to burn okay but the mystery flavor oil frightens me. I just received two bags of CS hickory and I can't wait to try them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.