Skip to main content

Folks, I've got a busy week with the smoker with 90 pounds of butts coming out Saturday and noon and 30 racks of baby backs coming out Sunday at 9AM. I will update this discussion with picks and progress, but for now here is a shot of all of the raw meat inside the fridge, 10 butts and 30 racks of rubs from Sams. Pork has gone way up. 1.96/pp for Butts and 2.87 pp for BBs.

Here is the planning cycle for the Ribs. Forgive my military mentality with the 'D' and 'N' hour sequences we were trained on, but basically take the time you want to take them out of the smoker at the 'D' or 'done' hour and backwards plan for it.

Here is the one for the 30 Racks of Babybacks.

And the one for the porkbutts is similar. Note, I've allowed for a 50 percent shrinkage, but normally yield around 63 percent.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I assume you have some experience with big loads on the smoker??? If I were to take those butts to 200F on our FEC 100's they would about be mush. I've been pulling at 175-185.

Don't want to scare you here but our cook times have been all over the chart. From 12 hours up to 17 hours when smoking at 224 setpoint on around 80 # loads. Sometimes the seem to hit the plateau and just stay there for ever! Boneless usually take longer. I prefer bone in myself.

For that reason we cook, shred, and reheat as needed (only on the pork butts). Might be something to consider if you have some steam tables or roasters available?? Then you would just have the ribs to deal with that day. I don't think it hurts the quality a bit.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the advice, always good. In my experience, big loads cook faster on mine, as I think there is more moisture. They are bone in. They'll be done when they are done. With this long hold time, I'll pull them before 200, good point. I learned my lesson with racking the ribs right on my first two big 40-rack cooks. BBs are harder to get out of the racks after they are done. Again, thanks for all the advice. It is much appreciated.
Wow..that is a whole herd of pig parts. Looking good! Dont guess the price crunch on pork has hit in these parts yet. Krogers is running spares for 1.49..with Tom Thumb/Safeway not far behind and the butts were pretty cheap but I forget the price right now. Swung over to Restaurant Depot to pick up some Eye o Round for the jerky enterprise and priced some what looked like 2 pound and down BB's for 2.12..the bigger curvy models which passes for Loin Backs in this area was real cheap..1.97 maybe. Cant wait to see some pics when the heat gets applied.
Ok, Began the Butt Cook. 90 Pounds of Sams Caselot porkbutt

Rubbed them with mustard and applied FE championship seasoning. Placed the 10 butts on four racks with six of the smallest on the center three racks. I'll monitor temp and see if I have to rotate, but we should be fine, plus I'll have four hour hold, which is likely to equalize them all. Here's a shot of the butts loaded on the smoker. Beginning at 202 and will bump up a little after they've been in for a few hours.

Using Apple wood BBQ delight pellets, which are setting on top of some sugar maple I had left over.
Ok, sorry no pics of the finished butts, as I got busy. Butts went on at 90Lbs Raw and Came off at 58.7Lbs Finished to around 195, as our hold time got cut. This is a 65.2% yield. If I were selling them at 6.00 per pound (like I am 35 pounds of them), it would have cost me about 200 dollars in meat (including tax and such) and the sale amount would have been 352.20, leaving a 150.00 profit. Not bad. Anyway, now I've got to clean the firepot and get the 30 racks of Baby Backs ready for the early morning smoke.
Don't cut your self short (at $6 per pound) We had to go up to $8 and nobody even bats an eye at that. We are even in the slums of SE Iowa!

Did you rotate racks at all? I usually do on a load that big or the bottom few gets a little crispy where the heat comes up around the drip pan. It almost looked to me like you went fat down on those butts?? Just wondering if that was the case and why you prefer that way.

I haven't ever tried over 15 racks of baby backs at once on our FEC's. Anxious for you follow up and "how to" instructions.

What time is lunch tomorrow again???? Wink
Fat side down seems to be the consensus for the FECs to block the dry heat from the FEC from drying out the meat. I did not rotate, but they were all pretty even in temp. I've done a full 40 racks before with ST. Louis Ribs and also twice with Loin backs. and another load with 36 racks of Loinbacks. I prefer low and slow on my ribs, as apposed to hot and fast. I try to keep it around 215-220 for 5.5-6 hours on Loinbacks and 7.5 hours on St. Louis Ribs. We'll see how these turn out. I have to put them in at 1 AM to start them.
Feedback. I just heard back from one of the workers at the retirement party where the Pulled pork was served. Overwhelming good response, with many people wanting our phone number. I guess it turned out ok. We pulled the remaining four butts and put them in Ziploc bags in prep for church tomorrow. It all looked and smelled great.

By the way, Because I sell whole unpulled product by the pound, I was wondering how much to allow for the weight of the bone. I weighed the bones from the four butts I pulled and they averaged 6 to 7 ounces.
Ok, got up at 130 with good intentions of getting the ribs on by 2AM.

Some of the membranes were being stubborn so I got them on at 230AM. Mistake #1: Allow more time. Then I totally disregarded the advice about using four, instead of three Rib Racks, which made the ribs cook a little slower than usual: Mistake #2, spread them out more if possible. And then for Mistake #3, I was too lazy to get out of bed and rotate them like I had planned.

Anyway, by the time I caught the lack of doneness, it was nearly too late. So I rotated the racks, putting the top in the middle and the middle on the very bottom and cranked the heat to 275.

They were done to my liking in about an hour. Well, plenty of lessons learned. We made the church banquet on time, although I did have to miss Sunday School to finish the ribs. Everyone raved about them, as well as the pulled pork. The folks put away 21 racks and I have some good leftovers. I've already received so many 'I told you so's' from my better half.

Joe, when I look back on your advice, it was spot on and should have listened more carefully. I'm almost sorry I named a pig after you Big Grin

As far as for my FEC, I'm pulling her off line for a bit, I need to order a new door gasket, after a fire some time back messed mine up and she's overdue for a good cleaning. I've also got to find a better matting solution as it's setting on our composite deck on a 3x6 mat and I'm still getting drips all over when trying to load and unload. Oh, and I've got to go to Pine Bluff Arkansas and pick up a half ton of pellets from candy sue, as I'm down to my last two bags. I'm thinking pecan. Hopefully I'll get all this done before Roscoe's pork bellies finish curing/drying so I can smoke them up - but that's another post.
Last edited by chaplainbill
Great pics and great yield on the butts. I have weighed a bunch of them flying saucer looking 3 butt bones in the sausage making hobby and will testify if you pick it as clean as you can when its raw..it will scare the heck out of 3/4 lb each time on the size butts we get around here anyway. 7-8 pounds usually. PS..also meant to say we just score them branes on big cooks. Way to much work to give them a peel job...lol.
Foil! It has saved me when timing didn't work out. I used it last night. I had 60 pounds of pork butts going and at 2am they were in the stall at 171 degrees. I foiled them with a little bit of apple juice and at 6am they were at 200 degrees. FTC and pulled at 11am for lunch and they were perfect. Had I not foiled them, I don't know if they would have been done at 6am. Total cook time 14 hours.
Dang..sounds like some grand prize winners on the ribs. Fine job! Was trying to price some loin backs for a pal last time I went to Restaurant Depot. They had curvy ribs marked small..less than 2 lbs I think it said. Assuming them was BB's then they had medium and large. I think they use different discriptive adjectives than us. One of them other two bound to have been loin backs according to my calculations. Can we get any help here? I cook spares. IBCA Lynn find a curvy bone in the turn in tray she would chase you around the parking lot beating a person in the head with it..or so they said. I was never brave enough to try it.
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
I do the second rib thing, but I'm going to try the middle. Loinbacks are far easier than spares IMO. Thanks for everything guys. I just had left-over ribs for lunch. Amazing. Pink all the way thru, firm perfect texture and come off the bone with a gentle tug. Never had finer ribs that the FEC produces.

Sounds like you had a great success - and great you photo-documented as you went, always nice to see pics of what one is speaking about.

You got some good comments and advice, of which I'll 'second the motion' on.
Production smoking can be a little different than backyard or competition :-)

I use both FEC's and SM smokers at our restaurant, and will lend the following (some of which was already commented).
- For ribs, we always load thickest side towards the back of the FEC-120 smoker. It let's you keep you eye on the 'thin side'. Gotta pull them when the thin side is done, and typically the thick side is 'done enough'.
- The bottom rack of the FEC is the 'warmest'. I attribute that to the incoming hot air is circulated from the bottom up, and the lower rack gets the first shot, so seems to run about 5 degrees warmer - we typically load chicken on bottom if a mixed load to get it done quicker.
- I agree with other on silver skinning ribs from the middle, actually I prefer about 3/4 of the way to the thick side, then get your finger under it, and slide hand towards thin side. This let's you have 3/4 of the skin off without using a paper towel to grab it. Everybody's got a little different 'technique' - I just know in the restaurant biz we gravitate towards what works the 'fastest'.
- Don't be afraid to get those ribs done by going to 270 degrees. We've 'pushed' ribs this way many many times, to where it's almost standard to do at this temp. We always supplement the burn pot with a block of hickory - helps get a bit more smoke flavor on the ribs. When we have time, I like doing ribs at 250 - I rarely go below that though.
- I too prefer a full FEC smoker rather than a couple butts and a few ribs. The moister environment lends to a quicker cook, and typically more even temperature throughout the smoker. Case in point, proven many many times with me. If I put 2 butts and 2 brisket in my FEC smoker, and the same load in an SM smoker, set to same temperature, the SM smoker will finish with meats at temp. many hours ahead of the FEC smoker. The SM smokers are a moister environment. However, the meats on the FEC smoker will have the classic 'bark' on them, the meats on the SM will be moister. The SM smokers are 'so' moist, that if doing a full load, I typically need to open the door to dump moisture after a few hours
- You mentioned ribs at room temp before they went on. I typically like to load ribs 'cold' - I think they take on a little more smoke taste. Maybe because the surface of the meat takes on more smoke because the cooler surface lets more smoke deposit (condensate) on it, maybe because they are in the smoker a little longer because they were colder going in. There are definitely differing schools of thought on that one.
- Regarding pricing per pound, that is typically a function of what you are paying, what you need for profit, and what other places in your area are pricing at. In my parts, we sell our pulled pork for 9.99 a pint (slightly under a pound), and sliced Brisket at 15.99 pound. This price matches other places in my region, which sort of sets the price. However, Brisket keeps going up and something's gotta give. Heh.
- I think you had a good observation regarding 'spreading out' the ribs when using the rib racks. THey are useful for large loads, but you need to keep an eye on things (tip the ribs from one side to the other, or flip them in the rack).

Thanks for sharing your experience and observations - benefits us all!

Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
Ok, sorry no pics of the finished butts, as I got busy. Butts went on at 90Lbs Raw and Came off at 58.7Lbs Finished to around 195, as our hold time got cut. This is a 65.2% yield. If I were selling them at 6.00 per pound (like I am 35 pounds of them), it would have cost me about 200 dollars in meat (including tax and such) and the sale amount would have been 352.20, leaving a 150.00 profit. Not bad. Anyway, now I've got to clean the firepot and get the 30 racks of Baby Backs ready for the early morning smoke.

A new Q place opened in town. Respectable product.
Bulk Pricing:
PORK $13/lb
BRISKET $21/lb
RIBS *Market Price*
Eeker
Man, that's some high-priced bbq. Hogs are back down to 85 cents pp live weight with hopes of 75 cents by year's end. Seems the PEVD piggy virus was over-estimated and no one anticipated the producers wising-up and feeding their hogs out to 325 pounds to compensate for the overall weight requirements. At least the hogs get to live longer, but as we all know a 325 pounder will carry more fat than a 250-275 pounder and the waste of fat may keep prices high. We're also not out of the water with the virus, which is already infecting some sows over and over again, between medication, which they may become immune to. Hopefully pork prices will come down. No relief for the next couple of years for beef prices, I'm afraid.
I believe we are in for a long run of high beef prices, the "drought" caused a sell off of beef with the sale price being cheap. When things turn around, beef prices will be higher and a lot of ranchers won't have the financial resources to replenish their herds caused by low sell off prices, so higher beef prices are coming.... even higher than now... soon we'll be looking for something to cook in the affordable area Frowner

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.