Skip to main content

To tag onto our earlier posts about Neely BBQ products,thought I'd mention old man Jim Neely.

I traveled 3-4 days a month in Memphis and the county for 25 years.

Old Jim had an invalid son,so they opened a small grocery in one of the worst neighborhoods in a very rough town.

With the help of a long "billy club" and an old .38 revolver Jim cleaned up the corner-or at least struck a kind of peace.

We'd rarely head over there after dark,and certainly not on Friday/Saturday nights.

As Jim and his boy expanded they drew the traffic,along with Vergos,Payne's,Cozy Corner for game hens and shoulder,even old Leonard's and Top's and A.& R,Germantowntown,and rivaled the Bar-B-Q shop for who invented the BBQ Spaghetti.

He took in the couple of nephews,with hopes of teaching them to cook.Oh well.They split off after a few years and tried to become a T.G.I. Fridays/Applebee's,like Corky's.

To the nephews' credit,they did do a good job of marketing themselves to yuppie bbq.

If ya'll travel to one of the best of the pork BBQ cities in the world,take three,or four folks and go over to the original Interstate about 11 A.M. Friday and everybody order different meals.

Allow yourself about three hrs and sample one of the best of old Southern BBQ joints there has been.[Watch out,if they try to over sauce you]
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.