Skip to main content

I just completed my first large brisket cook on the FEC100. Each shelf was full of a 13plus to 15lb briskets. Does anyone have issues with the briskets on the lower shelves not developing a good bark because of the fat drippping from the briskets on the higher shelves. I rotate the briskets about half way through the cook and we do foil for the last 2 1/2 hours of the cook.

The finished product was good. Tenderness, texture and flavor were on the mark. Ease of cooking was excellent. I am looking for tips for getting good bark on all the product.

I am used to cooking on a stick burner on one level, so I am still learing my cooker.

Thanks.

Ed
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm still using the five pound can of cookshack brisket rub that came with my smoker and have never had a problem getting a good bark on briskets. I've tried mixing a little brown sugar in it, and that works too. I do put a slather of olive oil or mustard or honey mustard on the brisket first, then put the rub on as thick as I can. I cook fat side down the whole time and do not foil. I do flip the briskets over the last 90 miniutes or so before I pull them. This last time I did a brisket, I used a mop on the briskets about an hour before I pulled them. This was a mistake, as it made the bark soggy and it didn't have time to harden up before I pulled it. And no, the drippings from the top ones have never hurt the bottom ones. Here's a closeup of my last one. Any naked spots on the bark are a cook's treat which I could not resist. I do know a mop works well but you have to use it earlier in the cook.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Web_IMG_2434
Pellet cooking and stck burner cooking are just different means to get the same result. Neither are good or bad just different methods. I think we can eventually get very close to the same flavors with both methods as I learn my cooker.

I have learned, the hard way, that certain brands of pellets produce more smoke flavor and IMHO more heat. Cookshack pellets and BBQ Delite seem to be very good. Tager not my favorite.

Thanks for all the responses to my post.
Ed

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.