Skip to main content

Did 4 racks this weekend.
FEC did an amazing job - temp control was AMAZING.
Ribs were from Costco (in Canada) and were REALLY fatty - will stick with my butcher from now on for baby backs!
I cooked them at 174 for 2 hours
then foiled at 174 for another 2 hours
then unfoiled and cooked at 224 for another hour
This worked great on my small Traeger - will have to research more for FEC as I was not 100% happy with them or the way they looked(regardless of the FAT)
Here is a shot of them:

and (you can see the larger pockets of fat in this next shot)
Smoke ring not as nice as I would like but hey it is my fist cookSmiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Jacobs:
I think 174 I way low. I always go with 225 or if there is a lot of fat I'll kick it up to 247.

After that cook I agree with you. I used to do lower temp to get better smoke flavor. I think next time I will go higher temp.
Searching now for FEC recipes but if anyone has one to share I would be grateful!
Thx,
My loinbacks have generally taken roughly 4.5 hrs to cook with the smoker set at 250*. I think yours may have turned out with less fat if they had smoked longer and/or hotter.

The ribs aren't done if a toothpick doesn't slide in and back out like going into soft butter. Let them cook longer until the ribs pass the toothpick test.

I've had great luck with Sam's ribs so I don't think it's your supplier. Smoke them at 250* vs 174* until they pass "the test" and see if they don't turn out better. At these hotter temps you're still looking at 4.5 hrs +/_.
Precisely why I don't like, oor teach the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method. It NEVER takes into account the weight of the ribs.

To be a better rib cook I teach:

1) weigh your racks)

2) learn the toothpick method of determine doneness.

Foil can help but it can also overcook them easily, that's why the weight of them matters.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
TECH - truth be told, if given a choice, I'd choose to eat the ribs from "batch1"...they look a lot meatier. Maybe they weren't smoked long enough? We're they chewy at all? Oh well...you like what you like.

Nice job!

I would say 1st were 'meatier' but they ended up fatty and very chewy.
I agree 1st cook was not done correctly.
Next test is to buy a few racks from each store and cook them up again.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:
Man, do those ribs look good! What are you using for a rub there T-MOG?

Thx!
Last year I started making my own rub. Made a big batch before my FEC arrived (did not know I would get pounds of CS rub as samples)
I will try the CS rub but I really like the one I came up with - I was able to get the flavor and the spice (hot) just right for me.
quote:
Originally posted by TechMOGogy:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
What internal temp did you cook to?

Don't have my log book here but if I remember correctly it was 180-190 according to my thermopen

I rely on the toothpick test to determine doneness on ribs but I've temped (Thermapen) ribs at the finished mark a couple of times. Results have been in the 200-204 range.

Your idea of comparing ribs from different sources is a good one.

I'll 2nd Pags request for the rub recipe Smiler
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TechMOGogy:
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
What internal temp did you cook to?

Don't have my log book here but if I remember correctly it was 180-190 according to my thermopen

I rely on the toothpick test to determine doneness on ribs but I've temped (Thermapen) ribs at the finished mark a couple of times. Results have been in the 200-204 range.

Your idea of comparing ribs from different sources is a good one.

I'll 2nd Pags request for the rub recipe Smiler

200-204? I'll be darned...I would have guessed 190-195...good info to know...thanks!

Now then T-MOG...about that rub recipe...?
quote:
#3 looks to be on the money. The exposed top bones shown on the plated ribs suggests they might be a tad overdone. We're they "fallin off the bone"?

Hurry up and perfect that rub Smiler

Did not change much as I wanted to test the cook method.
It was windy vs last cook and I don't have a 90* exhaust yet so I know cooker was swinging temps more. And based on that I agree over done. Still great but a little to fall of the bone for meSmiler
Next is brisket!
Thanks guys
quote:
The exposed top bones shown on the plated ribs suggests they might be a tad overdone.

One rib cook I know uses the "rib bone exposed" as one indicator of doneness. In his case he looking at the underside of the rack. When he sees the 3rd or 4th rib bone starting to break free of the connective meat tissue, he calls 'em done. Breaking free on the top of the rack, he says they're overdone. Different strokes for different folks.
I've NEVER believed in a temp for ribs. I know one person who does, but his rib scores aren't always the best (don't know if it's tenderness or not).

I created the toothpick method of testing. The flex test, bone test and other methods just have too much variance.

Take a toothpick, push it between the bones and feel the resistence in the ribs. Do this a few times and you'll know exactly the tenderness you want.

Just note how much or how little resistence there is in them when you eat them.

1) Did you like that tenderness? Then remember the resistence.

2) Too tough? If you didn't and you want them more tender, next time you want less resistence.

3) Too tender? If they were TOO tender, then you want to feel more resistence next time.
Yep,I always wondered when cooking that couple cases of odd sizes loinbacks-maybe 36 racks,out in the dark,just where a fella placed them therm probes.

Did they have a chart for pumped slabs,prefrozen slabs,them from a 700 lb sausage sow/boar,or a 220lb market hog?

All them great Memphis in May loinback cooks that never heard of a therm?

Just a couple of thoughts. Confused

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.