Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Good call on the 4 butts. It looks like you could use a bit more seasoning.

Pellets - I've been using CS/FE hickory until recently...switched to mesquite. Quite a bigger bang for the buck smoke profile with the mesquite.

Yeah the rib cook was only the 2nd time I had her fired up.

I'm currently using hickory. With my past smokers, I used that on everything. You dont find the mesquite overpowering at all?
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Nope and my 1st time around with mesquite was a 10 hr brisket cook.

I like the hickory pelz on chicken and ribs but prefer a heavier smoke flavor on butts and brisket. The mesquite imparts a nice tangy sweet smoke without overpowering the meat. Try a bag to judge for yourself.

I'll sample these butts when they come off of the hickory smoke. I may switch it up and try the mesquite on the next one if I'm not satisfied with the smoke
quote:
Originally posted by Trucky1008:
Great video!

I noticed a decent amount of dust when you poured the pellets into the hopper. For what it's worth I always sift my pellets before putting them in the hopper, it helps to eliminate a build up of dust in the auger and down the shoot.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I plan on pouring them into a bucket first in front of a fan to blow all that out. Then dump the bucket into the hopper.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.