Skip to main content

We made arrangement with Stuart for the use of a FE300 to cook for 200 some college kids from Ohio who were in the area participating in Drums Across Kansas. 100+ pounds of brisket flats, 115# of pork and 7 gallons of baked beans and did it all in one smoker Cool
My timing was a little off, I'm guessing because of the volume of the smoker and amount of meat that was in it, but we got rave reviews on the food. As with my 100, it worked perfectly.
A great big THANK YOU to Stuart and one sweet smoker Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nurse, I could see myself getting a larger FEC in the future, probably something on a Trailer. I've always been a little concerned about the 300 pulling its own weight with big loads, as it only has one firepot like the 100. How did it do? Is the one Firepot bigger than the FEC 100s? Also, does it rotisserie or is it a convection oven also? How many racks of SL ribs do you think you can do in it at one time? The information sheet says 100 pounds. I know I've done 120 pounds in my FEC 100 (40 racks adv 3 lb/rack). I'd imagine it would cook faster. How does the 300 do with grease management? The FEC is very efficient and drops in a full size pan, how doe the 300 operate? If one were doing mostly ribs, would it be better to run two or three FEC 100s with four rib racks each or one 300? What about pellet consumption compared to the FEC 100? Thanks.
I borrowed that same 300 for Oktoberfest last year. I turned it on on Wed and Turned it off on Sunday.

300 has 2 firepots (I could be wrong, don't remember).

It has 5 sets of 3 racks. The spacing is a little close if you try to use the middle of the three, so go with 5 racks x 2 or 10 racks. Depends on the size of the St. Louis, but angle them and I'm thinking 5 to 7 per rack, x 10

For ease of use, you'll love the rotisserie over the 100's.

We were doing up to 70 5 to 10 lb pork ham hocks and we got nothing but rave reviews.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
Nurse, I could see myself getting a larger FEC in the future, probably something on a Trailer. I've always been a little concerned about the 300 pulling its own weight with big loads, as it only has one firepot like the 100. #1:How did it do? #2:Is the one Firepot bigger than the FEC 100s? #3:Also, does it rotisserie or is it a convection oven also? #4: How many racks of SL ribs do you think you can do in it at one time? The information sheet says 100 pounds. I know I've done 120 pounds in my FEC 100 (40 racks adv 3 lb/rack). I'd imagine it would cook faster. #5: How does the 300 do with grease management? The FEC is very efficient and drops in a full size pan, how doe the 300 operate? If one were doing mostly ribs, would it be better to run two or three FEC 100s with four rib racks each or one 300? #6: What about pellet consumption compared to the FEC 100? Thanks.

Bill I'll do my best;
#1: It did just fine, held a steady temp
#2: The firepot looks to me to be the same size as my 100. If it has 2 I never found the second one
#3: Both
#4: This will be speculative on my part as I'm just guessing on the size of the racks of ribs, but I would guess 60 flat (4 x 15 racks) or around 100 on rib racks (10 x 10 racks)
#5: Sloped floor with a drain. Worked very well
#6: It burns allot more pellets, like 3-4 times more. But on a full load it would be about equal to 3 loads in the 100 for pellets used.
The 300 took 3 hours longer than I expected, but I would guess that had something to do with the volume of the smoker and amount of meat I had on it.
Thanks all. I'm in the military and move about from place to place quite often. I thought maybe a DHEC certified vending trailer with a mounted FEC 500 or maybe two 120s with sinks, fridge and everything else I needed would allow me to sell some of my product legally even if I was selling it from my house in the back yard. I think I could drum up customers from my contacts (no shortage of them now) but I don't have a seperate kitchen and moving every three years, it's kinda difficult to buy a resturant every time. So basically a home catering business using a kitchen trailer. I saw some nice ones online. We'll see. Probally the 500. Thanks again.
Bill,

Good luck, been there done that, 20 years in the Air Force. Regarding your idea, pop into the pros forum and ask around. The issue will be that the health dept laws change everytime you move. Just live outside the side where they can't find you. You're idea will work in some cities, not in others because some are VERY strict and some don't care.

Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.