Skip to main content

I'll preface my comments by saying this is based on one use;
I got some BC pellets to try and figured a People's Choice rib event would be a good time to do so.
I could not get the temp of my FEC over 220° no matter what I tried. After about 2.5 hours I dumped in some Cookshack Hickory pellets and mixed them in which got me to 240° so I could finish the ribs. I also had twice as much ash from that 5 hour cook as I normally do after 12+ hours. For the comp meats I cleaned the hopper and reloaded with CS hickory pellets and had no problem getting the temps up.
I also noticed a lack of smoke from the BC pellets, although they did have a good smell to them.
Again, this is based on one (and will only be one) use, YMMV
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The problem could be due to any number of things but it sounds to me that the pellets contain too much moisture.

Couple years ago I chatted with Fast Eddy Maurin about the ins & outs of the pellet manufacturing process. This man knows his stuff. The basic process involves logs which are stripped of bark, chipped, mixed with water at hi temps and extruded.

Quality control is essential throughout the process. If too many twigs, too much bark, or the steaming/extrusion process isn't dead on, the pellets may retain too much water and not produce the sufficient BTU's.

Your experience points to the above. Could be one bag of faulty pellets...who knows. Glad you salvaged your ribs.

When it comes to pellets, I stick with the tried and true and I've never had an issue with Cookshack or Fast Eddy's pellets.
Same here with the BC pellets. Junk. There was a solid 1/8" of ash all of the bottom of the smoker after a 12 hour cook. I gave the rest of the bag to my stick burning uncle to sprinkle on his charcoal. Not impressed at all. I would love to use CS or BBQ Delight pellets all the time, but the only ones readily accessible in my area are Traeger pellets, so that's what I have to use.
quote:
Originally posted by ksgoodolboy:
Same here with the BC pellets. Junk. There was a solid 1/8" of ash all of the bottom of the smoker after a 12 hour cook. I gave the rest of the bag to my stick burning uncle to sprinkle on his charcoal. Not impressed at all. I would love to use CS or BBQ Delight pellets all the time, but the only ones readily accessible in my area are Traeger pellets, so that's what I have to use.

Depending on how much you use and the space you have to store them (or if you can split a load with someone) you can get CS & BBQ Delight pellets a lot cheaper than paying retail + tax. UPS will give you a freight rate on 400#s (20 X 20# bags).
I like max Q, had a conversation with Ed, prior to buying my FEC-100. I still have a traeger and several years ago BC made 100% cherry and other flavors the quality was good, about 4 years ago BC quit selling to individuals and the quality went through the floor, not sure what happened, so I tried several different makes of pellets, candy sue has good pellets and cook shack, there were a few other sources but none that were as reliable and had consistent good results with flavor and temperature. Just my experience, I also noticed that the cheaper the pellets the less dependable the quality seemed to be.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.