Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On this subject of cleaning. I saw some pictures of an FEC100 filled with some finished butts and briskets. The meat looked great, but I was surprised to see that the inside of the smoker looked the way mine did the day I took it out of the crate. Mine does not look like that now-far from it. I clean it after each use, and always shop-vac it out. I clean the racks, but they by no means look new. Am I not cleaning it enough? Every 6 or so cooks I scrape the insides down with a large putty knife, bit I always thought that a little build-up gave better taste. Should I work harder?
If the manufacturer of the smoker recommends "seasoning" the smoker, why would we try to clean it down to the metal?

Just keep the food from stopping up any holes. Keep the ash vacuumed out and keep the racks clean and all will be fine. Keep food from collecting on the temp probe (which can happen). Also wipe out the inside of the vent pipe.

Oh and lubricate the fan with 3in1 oil. Had mine stop on me yesterday, but FE was at the contest and showed me what I forgot (thanks FE).

Like Craig, I would NEVER use any chemicals of any kind inside of anything that's going to have food in it, even my home oven. Just don't want that toxic smell having the chance to linger.
"Oh and lubricate the fan with 3in1 oil. Had mine stop on me yesterday, but FE was at the contest and showed me what I forgot (thanks FE)." from SmokinOkie
Explain how to oil the fan, please. I do love the FEC, but it seems to me that there is a lack of maintenance information included with the unit.

Here's what I have been doing, since I live in a high humidity area. I don't clean out the hopper as some have suggested. Instead, every week or so, I plug the FEC into power and turn it on smoke until the auger drops a few pellets into the fire pot, then turn it off. Seems to me that should keep the pellets agitated enough to keep them from causing pellet crete. So far, no problems with pellets swelling and causing a stoppage. I do keep the FEC in the garage when not in use. Chuck
I read the manuals, Smokin--and this is what it said:
"Oil auger motors and draft fans with 3 in 1 oil every 6 months."
That's it!!! That's all!!!
To me, that's not very good instructions. I am guessing that we are not to squirt oil on the motors or the blades of the fans. Right???? So, what part of the motors and fans are we supposed to oil? I couldn't find an oil cap or anything when I checked. Maybe I missed it. Chuck
That's what the manuals say, doesn't need to me more complicated. Does it need to be more detailed, most guys have enough knowledge about motors to solve the oil thing. If it needs more detail, let CS know (I'm not CS) that it might want to get more details. They also like feedback, but they don't read the forum.

Put some on the moving parts, on the spindle itself, that the fan spins on. Just like you put oil on moving parts in other items.

If it's in constant use, you might need it more often.
I suppose most guys are more mechanically inclined than I am, but I can't see the need to put oil on a shaft that is outside the motor. I can't see the benefit of lubricating a bare shaft that is not touching anything. I'll have to look at this situation much closer. Do you have to take the hopper off to do this lube job?
Well JRL you're kinda right there. Most people put oil on moving parts to get them to stop making noise or to keep them from rusting. Motors are oiled to prevent the bearings from seizing up.

There are 2 types of motors. Sealed motors that never require oiling, and then theirs the opposite. Those that do periodically need a few squirts. Sometimes there is a port in which to put the spout of the oil can.

All that being said, I dont even own an FEC yet so I have no idea what the motor on one requires. Like Smokin' says CookShack is only an 800 number away so it would be worth the effort to find out for sure. After all........we dont all have a Fast Eddy around to pamper us! Wink (just kidding Smokin')
Actually it's a good thread, we haven't discussed oiling that much.

Understand and I'd recommend a call to CS so they can clarify the manual about where to put the oil.

Feedback is important to them and they can easily update the manual. Might help the next guy know where to oil.

Hey, when Eddie said "just put a little oil on it" and I said "but Gee Eddie I don't know where" he just put some on the spindles.

The fan blade had stopped rotating and thus needed some oil. These 2 FE's have spent all year outside so probably some effect. I've been through some really bad rain storms at contests this year.

No problems, just needed some oil.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.