Skip to main content

Let me first say I'm sorry for not writing on here for years. As usual, people only complain when something goes wrong. Here my story:

1. Bought FEC 100 from cook-shack 2005; used model
2. Worked great until Friday night.
3. Became very smoky. Opened the pellet hopper
and noticed a lot of sawdust was in pellets.
4. removed them, started the cook over, worked great.
5. Today, new pellets (Barbe que's delight, hickory) and the same thing happend.
6. More smoke comes out of the pellet holder than anywhere. Open it up and pellets are burning from the hopper!
7. I think I have the cast iron fire pot.
8. I'm in Jacksonville fl, so I thought maybe humidity was making pellets bad, but I don't think so. They are hard when they go in.
9. When I take the pellets out, some are burned and they are in the pellet hopper; please help.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Exactly what BBQ Bob said, any time I called Cookshack for advice or to make sure I was ordering right parts for my old SM008 or my SM150 the folks were cordial, friendly and helpful as all get out. These people really know their stuff and it's obvious they're in love with smoking food in the products they sell. I always get the info I need and have a nice time dealing with Cookshack.
Do you have the pre-ramp model?

You should NOT be having pellets smoking in the hopper that's bad.

Depending on the model, the pellets at the end of the hopper (on some ramp models) would start to smolder, but wouldn't really light because of a lack of oxygen).

I would get a sifter and sift out the dust. I try not to pour from the bottom of the bag because ALL types get dust in the bottom and dust will burner fast, fast, fast.
I am new to this board today and want to thank all of you who post and teach on this forum. In my 40 + years of pellet smoking, there have been a few auger fires in my smokers. Sawdust is a killer but I found if I started my fire pot with too much pellets the auger works faster than the pot will burn the pellets thus the pot is too high and cranking on fire which makes it truly easy to burn up the auger into the hopper
Like most said, contact cookshack. I've seen similar happen with my FEC-120 and also Cookshack Charbroiler. In my case, the auger feeds too many pellets, causing pellets to build up on the ramp because burn pot too full of pellets. I think this typically happens from a 'slow start', where the initial pellets ignite minutes late, and therefore are 'piling up' instead of 'burning up'. Bottom line is, keep an eye on equip during ignition stage.
Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Frank da Tank:
Let me first say I'm sorry for not writing on here for years. As usual, people only complain when something goes wrong. Here my story:

1. Bought FEC 100 from cook-shack 2005; used model
2. Worked great until Friday night.
3. Became very smoky. Opened the pellet hopper
and noticed a lot of sawdust was in pellets.
4. removed them, started the cook over, worked great.
5. Today, new pellets (Barbe que's delight, hickory) and the same thing happend.
6. More smoke comes out of the pellet holder than anywhere. Open it up and pellets are burning from the hopper!
7. I think I have the cast iron fire pot.
8. I'm in Jacksonville fl, so I thought maybe humidity was making pellets bad, but I don't think so. They are hard when they go in.
9. When I take the pellets out, some are burned and they are in the pellet hopper; please help.
Thanks J for joining.

The sue described here was specific to an old design where there was a ramp leading down to the fire pot. It would backup then start smoldering from a hot fire.

New design eliminated this issue.

I've seen cases in other designs that if it's too hot (350+) the heat can start burning pellets as they feed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.