Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by tamck1:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
tamck1 is correct! I also got the 62323 SS 5 inch lap joint clamp to attach my VacuStack antibackdraft cap.

Which VacuStack cap did you use? For now, I've just left my exhaust open but a cap would be nice, assuming it doesn't affect airflow.

It is the 5 inch Vacu-Stack Wind Resistant Chimney Cap from Woodland Direct. It's all SS and well made. $105/free shipping. It was recommended by Tony @ Cookshack and actually by design improves airflow. Bonus: No rain/no critters!
An interesting thing that I noted about using the elbow or the elbow and extension with cap. You tend to get more pellet dust in the hopper and the cover of the pellet hopper has moisture on the underside. This would occasionally cause feed issues and unstable operation. Depending on the ambient temperature it would get worse to the point of failure. Left off the extension and cap and most of the issues went away, removed the elbow and all went away. Just saying it may not need all those restrictions on the exhaust which causes the over pressure to exhaust through the pellet hopper creating moisture and fragile (these were from Italy) pellets.
We have 90% Humidity almost year round & I've never had pellet feed issues, smoke out of the hopper, significant dust buildup, or moisture on the hopper lid. The unit is kept outside under the FEC cover, operated in downpours, & I don't empty the hopper between cooks. I use COOKSHACK, Cableas, CookingPellets, Traeger (got them for $3/bag), and BBQ'ers delight pellets. I'm sure it would operate fine (now that the firepot has been replaced with the SS pot) without an elbow or cap but then I'd have "critter issues" (but that's a whole different thread)! Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.