Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you got the new IQ5 controller... you won't notice "temp swings" to to the degree everyone is warning you about. There will be a bit, but all in all the IQ5 is a very tight controller.

My experience is it takes a little bit longer to get to temp and to recover after the door is opened etc, but the overshoot is generally less than with the IQ4

You'll love it... Run it at 300 for about an hour then cook something... or two somethings, or three somethings... Pork butts are a good start... 180 x 8 hours then 250 until done...

Nordy
You are right about the temp swings. It takes about 25 min to get to 300, and held very steady. My only worry right now is that after I got to cooking, I noticed things weren't cooking as fast as I thought that they should. I put a probe in the smoker that I know was accurate, and my temps were about 30 to 40 degrees low. I was thinking about calling CS about it.

It was sort of strange. As it was heating up, the temp on the controller and on the remote thermometer were about the same, but after about an hour, the temp on the smoker was about 40 degrees hotter than the remote.
(I know you probably know all of this... but...)

Be sure you put the probe in the same location in the pit as the FECs probe. Also make sure there is no meat touching or dripping on either probe.

If you put the remote probe next to cold meat it will read differently. And there are temp fluctuations across different racks etc. (probably not 40 degrees).

I'd test it a little more and if you are noticing some significant differences then I would give them a call. You might check another remote thermo as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.