Skip to main content

On my FEC100 yesterday, I smoked a Boston Butt for pulled pork. I went by instructions on Youtube for Aaron Franklin of Austin, TX. After rubbing and resting for 40 minutes, I put the meat on fat cap up on the second shelf from top. He smokes at 275 the entire 8-9 hour cook. After about 5-5 1/2 hours, the fat cap is supposed to begin splitting with good bark formation. He is using an offset smoker. Mine never got a good bark although the fat cap did begin to split at the 5 1/2 hour mark with internal at 160. He then wraps the butt and continues to cook for another 3 hours. I did the same. At end of the final three hours with the butt foiled, the internal temp was 198. Rested the meat for 35 minutes and then pulled. The meat was very juicy and tender, but no bark at all. I had to pull off the fat cap ( with much of the seasoning) and discard. In order to get more edible bark, what should i do different on the FEC100??? Maybe cook on a lower shelf; maybe cook fat cap down; maybe not wrap the last 3 hours? Need help as a big party coming in a few weeks. Thx. Ron
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would think putting it in foil is why you didn't have any bark. I have an FE100 and put my butts in a cold smoker with cold meat, fat side up...set the smoker at 224 for 16 hours...that's with usually 10 to 16 butts....with just one I pull it with it reaches 200 internal temp...then foil and rest for 20 minutes....bark is great each and every time.
Yeah, my experience is, let it dry out a little on the outside while it finishes. If the final temp is above 200 F you should be good with no foiling or wrapping of any sort. If you need to keep it warm, put in a 150 oven for 30 minutes, and then pull it, or if you need more time pull it and cover it with plastic wrap in a 150 oven for an hour or more. I find that FTC is only necessary for two or more hours of waiting to serve.
All good advice, just one thing to add. Your rub as well as technique will play a role in your bark. I notice my rubs that are heavier in sugar make a nicer harder bark. While my rubs with no sugar leave a thinner lighter bark.

I did 6 butts this weekend in my FEC120. Rubbed with a sugary rub 225 for 13 hours. Internal ranged from 190 to 205. I wrapped them all in double HD foil and towel rested in a cooler for 4 hours. They were awesome!
Jay, what does FTC mean?
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Yeah, my experience is, let it dry out a little on the outside while it finishes. If the final temp is above 200 F you should be good with no foiling or wrapping of any sort. If you need to keep it warm, put in a 150 oven for 30 minutes, and then pull it, or if you need more time pull it and cover it with plastic wrap in a 150 oven for an hour or more. I find that FTC is only necessary for two or more hours of waiting to serve.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.