Skip to main content

Hey all, I have an FE 100 that was built in 2004. I am using pellets from Bear Mountain Forest Products (been using them for a number of years), and in my current cook, the auger has jammed twice! Both times, the pellets have been jammed up between the auger and the entry tube leading to the fire pot. Knock on wood, the pin hasn't sheared yet. I want to pose a thought.....could it be that after 7 years and countless bags of pellets, the auger has lost the edge and no longer has the ability to slice (I know that's not the design intent)the pellets in order to feed them? They are very tight when jammed so I don't think it's the motor. Any ideas?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The usual reason it jams is because of the type of pellets. When one gets "caught" in between the edges and the auger the motor can't drive the auger enough to cut them. Hence the shear pin.

It could be the motor is getting tired since it sounds like you're using the same pellets you have been.
Thanks guys. I am switching pellets, but I have been using Bear Mountain since 2006 without any issue except on this one cook and this is the last bags of the ton I bought 6 months ago.....We'll see how the new pellets do. Would like to use Cookshack or BBQ'ers, but bag cost and shipping would be a killer. Will look into it though.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.