Skip to main content

First off ... I'm absolutely loving the 120! Smoked on it 10 or so times since its delivery just before Thanksgiving.

My question to you fine folks is ... do you ever find the need to clean the walls/door of your 120? I understand that the 100 is more sensitive to cleaning due to the firebox inside the smoke chamber, but with the 120 having a separated firebox, I don't see the compelling reason to clean the walls. I never cleaned the walls of my Klose stick smoker.

BTW - clean the firebox and change the aluminum foil on the bottom each and every time and of course maintain clean racks.

Many thanks in advance for your advice!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tagging on to John's comments...

I use a 4" putty spackling knife on the inside surfaces to remove built up ash. I haven't used anything else for several years.

NEVER use cleaning chemicals...it will take forever to rid the residue and smell. If you must apply a water based solvent, 4 oz if white vinegar + 1 gal of water will do the trick.
quote:

I may be missing something, but I haven't seen much in the way of ash ... probably haven't used it enough and maybe it is a bit different between the 100 and 120?

Many thanks again!!!

I haven't been up close & personal with a 120 but the You Tube shows the firebox to be isolated from the main chamber.

The FEC100's firepot is towards the bottom of the chamber. Ash does build up inside the firepot and on the bottom of the 100's cabinet floor. It's easily removed with a baker's bench scraper or putty knife.

Some pellets produce more ash than others. The worst I've come across are Traeger.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.