Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Still not sure of the schematics of those pits..but will have to agree with Smoking Okie. A Wally World hot plate..a pie pan..and a chunk or two of wood is the solution to a lot of cold smoking issues. The old frugal prevert used to show folks how to make a cold smoker out of a cardboard box. Worked pretty danged good.Its all a matter of something to contain the goods and the smoke without making a lot of heat. In my view cold smoking happens below 140 f. For the non electric folks a pan with couple of lit charcoal briquettes and a chunk or two is also rumored to work.Kindly keep us posted on what you come up with. Thanks.
Thanks for all of the ideas.. I have actually come up with something that works perfectly for cold smoking . I use an Amazen 5x8 pellet smoker box. For cheese I only load it 1 1/2 rows with hickory. Once lit and smoking I place it in the firebox compartment under the fire box. Shut the door and only turn on the smoker.. DO NOT HIT START.. The fan circulates the smoke but does not fire up the heating element of the smoker. Place a full size hotel pan with ice on the next from the bottom rack. Cheese on top rack. Temp never gets above 80.. Works amazingly well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.