Skip to main content

Posted this in another forum looking for advice also.

I have a Southern Pride DH65 I bought it last fall through an online auction company, it is nice but is a couple of things for me, it is larger than I need, yes I looked at dimensions before buying but once it got here it was a different story. I got it for a good price though even with buyers premium and freight. It also seems more complicated to use than what I was hoping. It has setting and programs and I never did cook anything in it. I have eaten food out of one of them and it was very good. I did wire it up to make sure it was going to work.

So I decided to list it on craigslist for 4500, a shop in New York has an FEC100 that he says is to small and is looking to trade. He is going to send me some pictures tomorrow.

I know these are about 4200 new.

Are there any questions I should be asking him about this cooker and what should I be looking for. Also what would a fair price be for his against mine? I believe he said it was made in 2005 the Southern Pride I have was 2007.

Thank you for any input and advice. Not sure why I think one of these is what a person needs but it is an FEC100 or an SM160. I think I may be happier with the SM but not sure.

The FEC can it be used while I am not at home say at work or something with out issue, that is the reason I think SM also I have a small Cookshack and love it it is just to small at times.

Also seeing the exhaust, I see people putting elbows on can one then extend the pipe some? I have a back room in my garage that I have finished and there is a 3" range hood Not Commercial there that I would be putting it under.

thank you
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Questions you should ask re: FEC100

How old is it? Hard to determine fair value without knowing the age.

What is the condition of the door gasket? Any leaks during operation?

Are the 2 fans (1 cools the auger motor, the other provides air flow for fire pot combustion) original?

What version IQ board does it have?

Is the auger itself original?

The fan motors will give up the ghost at some point in time. The auger, if warn/pitted on the leading edges might create pellet flow issues. All can be replaced of course and you can get an idea of replacement costs at the Cookshack website.

As far as SM160 vs FEC100 -

Wood chunks are more economical vs pellets. They also provide more smoke penetration which will be similar to the flavor your now getting from your small electric CS unit. Either unit allows you the freedom of being absent during the smoking process.

FEC's are competition "legal" The SM160 is not.
Ventilation -

Are you using a smoker in a commercial vending application? If so, you'll need to conform to NSF ventilation standards as well as local fire codes. Is your 3' hood fan vented? If not, it won't be adequate for either the FEC or SM160...both generate a fair amount of smoke. The SM260 can't be directly vented. You'll need x amount of CFM to exhaust it. I run a 24" straight pipe vent off my FEC100. Elbows may be subject to restriction depending on the length of venting needs. You need to speak with Bill or Tony @ CS about this.

What is it you're intending to do with either unit?

Hope this helps.
If you get anywhere near asking price for the SP I'd recommend a new FEC 100. The two year warranty will give peace of mind and you can return/exchange in 30 days if your not happy and want another electric. Either way CS Service will help you but parts are not cheap and a malfunctioning unit can be maddening (not to mention the cost of meat). Good luck.
Last edited by joem
he sent me some pictures today, The first thing I noticed is it will need a new door seal, it is drooping and looks like some of it is gone and has a few leaks. The unit itself looks clean for being made in 2007. This person has a BBQ place and uses it everyday from what I gather he is looking for something larger.

The exhaust hood is ducted to the outside. I have a 30" over the Smokette I am using now and it works very well even on the low setting.

I bought a Rec Tec Pellet grill last summer and while it makes some really great tasting grub it doesn't give that smoke flavor that the electric does. But the higher temps make for smoking and then finishing things like chicken wings and thighs better than the electric.

As for use just for myself and the girlfriend, I will occasionally do 40 or 50 pound of pulled pork for people and some salmon for others when they come home from the fishing trip.

He gave me a shot of the build tag on the side, and I can see the serial number I may give CS a call Monday and ask about the controller and get and idea as to costs for gaskets and any parts that may be prone to failure in the near future because of age.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.