Skip to main content

Hey Folks,
First and foremost, man do I love cookshack, and also this forum and the wealth of knowledge here. Which is why I turn to you all.

I currently have an SM045, which Ive had for about a year and half, but Im looking for an upgrade (or perhaps more accurately worded, a "change"). The SM045 has worked very well and truly made me a lifetime cookshacker! (I also have a decent weber gas grill, that gets occasional use for burgers, steaks, etc, but use is somewhat rare because I vastly prefer charcoal or smoke) Anyhow, Im looking at the pellet grills/smokers and trying to decide what I want need, but Im thinking the wood/pellets will provide a more natural taste to my Q.

A bit more details--the two models Im looking at--the PG1000 and the FEC100--very different I know. Its not often that I fill my SM045, but occasionally max it out with chicken or nuts or cold smoking cheese. The most I ever cook is maybe two packer briskets or maybe three pork butts. However, Im looking to possibly expand--Im starting to judge local bbq contests and hoping to start competing at some point (although to be fair a FEC100 wont fit in my current SUV). Ive also toyed with the idea of doing some outsourced catering for a few local caterers I know (cheese, nuts, meat, the works). But both the competing and catering may or may not happen. Lastly, per the wife's instruction Id probably have to ditch the gas grill and the SM045--esp since Id need to make room in garage for the PG1000 (I have a great spot right aside the garage with easy electrical outet access). Id probably be able to keep the gas grill if the FEC100 was purchased, since thats outside.

Im leaning towards the PG1000--man does a nicely seared steak sound amazing and being able to crisp up chicken, mmmm. However, I worry that the actually smoking space will be too small? Especially if I must ditch the SM045? I also worry that I'll regret not buying the FEC100 if I decide to compete (not to mention Ive heard the Q off the FEC100 is like no other...). Perhaps I just address the competing aspect down the line, esp since I currently lack a rig to transport a larger smoker.

Ive tried to cover all the bases and potential followup questions. I'd appreciate any thoughts? Any one that can take me into or out of either of these models? Anyone out there own both that can give me a comparison?

Cheers!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love my PG500!! But, I don't think you could do entire competitions with it. Although I have read that some are using it for the chicken comp.

I have not beed disapointed one bit with this machine. It is the perfect home BBQ/grill/smoker. If competitions are truely possible, I say go for the FEC100. Others will probably chime in about that machine and it's capabilities. I don't own one, but would like to someday.

Meanwhile, I will stick with the three I have...
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I love my PG500!! But, I don't think you could do entire competitions with it. Although I have read that some are using it for the chicken comp.

I have not beed disapointed one bit with this machine. It is the perfect home BBQ/grill/smoker. If competitions are truely possible, I say go for the FEC100. Others will probably chime in about that machine and it's capabilities. I don't own one, but would like to someday.

Meanwhile, I will stick with the three I have...

Can't recall handle/name. There is someone in The Kansas City areas who competes using a PG1000
They guy out of Kansas has modified his PG1000 with a bigger top rack that allows him to cook in a comp on only that pit... but it takes some timing...

I have both and have cooked on both at home and in competitions. Since I got my PG1000 I have not used my gas grill AT ALL, not sure why I still have it... I started with an SM020 and since getting the PG1000 I have not used it except for once or twice.

So... At home the PG1000 or PG500 would be a great replacement for the gasser AND the smoker. Depending on your climate, the PG 500 may be better as keeping the 1000 at low temps in high ambient temps (think 100 degree Oklahoma Summers) can be tough... the PG500 isn't insulated and uses a bit more pellets, but can hold lower temps in high ambient temps better...

If you are going to compete... or smoke a ton... FEC100 is the way to go... I've gone from cooking on a FEC100 and the PG1000 to now cooking on two FEC100s for comps. That's more due to my current techniques more so than the ability of the pg1000... The PG1000 has served me well as a rib and chicken cooker in competition.

Volume-wise... check out my blog - Nordy's Blog for some examples of the volume cooked on the PG1000. I maxed it out with two (trimmed) packers and two butts... had a little ariflow issues at first (briskets completely covered the indirect side of the pg1000... but was an excellent cook.

The warming drawer on the PG1000/500 is great for cold smoking, however if you are going volume... FEC100 is your baby... but it wont replace a gas grill.

I'd recommend getting a PG1000/500 and keep the SMO45... dump the gasser... then as you work on your cooking/recipes on the PG1000 save your $$$ for a FEC for comps.

Nordy
All,
Thanks for chiming in. Nordy, I should have mentioned I had settled on the idea of the PG1000 rather than the PG500 for a few reasons, first because I live in Virginia and its not really cold but there are plenty of times Im smoking, esp overnight smokes that drop below 30-40 degrees, sometimes colder. Ive heard the PG1000 handles that much better. Second Ive heard the PG1000 comes up to temp faster, which is great since with two little ones, I may not have a ton of time. And lastly, Ive heard the PG500 exterior can heat up quite a bit, again with two little ones that worries me.

Am I way off with any of the above assumptions? Let me ask, how hard is it to keep a lower temperature in the PG1000, lets say 170 to 225 range? The flip side is we get in the high 90s, sometimes 100s. We'll it be tough to keep it steady at that lower range? Secondarily, will it be harder to cold smoke in the PG1000, cold or warm weather? (My family, even my three year old LOVES smoked cheese, my three year old now refuses to eat regular cheese!).

Last question, in my electric, if I was way early on a quick time, Id drop the temp to 140 to ensure it stayed above the danger zone until it got closer to serving time. How do you all handle such a situation on the PG1000/500?

Cheers!
PG1000 does well at low temps... I've smoked in sub freezing temps several times.

The point about the little kids is important... the PG1000 has very few "hot spots" where they could be injured etc (can get a little hot on the front of the firepot side when running hot). The PG500 gets hot and you have to pay attention...

I don't know if they've changed the PG1000 since I got mine 2+ years ago, but keep it in the shade, keep the LHT HHT settings low, and you can run 225 without much trouble... can run lower but ambient temps are the kicker. If it's hot outside or you're in direct sunlight, your probably not going to get 180 degrees. Shouldn't have much problems cold smoking in cold weather... and with enough ice pans maybe in warm weather too... I'd keep your SM045 in case you need it for the cold smoking. If after you get the PG1000 you don't use the SM045... then sell it!

Regarding holding... you can drop stuff into the warming drawer if it fits... or just wrap in foil and towels and throw it in a cooler... it'll stay hot in there for hours.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.