Skip to main content

2 year old FEC100 v67 control board...

I'm hearing an occasional creaking noise from the auger. Pellets are dropping but the heat seems sluggish.

Set smoker to 280 at 6:15, loaded with 12 racks of loinbacks at 6:45 (they were out of the fridge 30 minutes when loaded) 30 minutes after placed in FEC the temp was reading 184.

Granted the ribs are heat sinking a bit but does that seem a bit under temp? The creaking auger suggests a possible issue.

I plan to call Bill Vice in the morning, just wanted opinions as I need to get these ribs done by noon today.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mine had very similar symptoms. I took the fan out and took it to the local dealer for that brand. We hooked 12 volts to it and it turned slowly. Then hooked a new one up and it blew huge amounts of air. The stock fan is a 25 com fan. The one I bought was a 15 cfm. It got me back going until I could order a new one from Cookshack. It gradually dies so you don't notice it til it gets like yours is. It makes a huge difference with a new fan. Good luck.
Spoke with Bill this morning. His 1st guess was pellet dust. I emptied the pellets out and did find residual sawdust at the bottom...maybe about a cup's worth.

After vacuuming out the bottom of the pellet box and the end of the auger tube, I restarted till the auger was empty. Still heard the creaking noise now and again but not as much as before. The smoker came to temp but was sluggish...about 30 minutes to hit 224.

I'm about to call Bill back and discuss the sluggish warm up. The v64 FEC100 I have at the restaurant will come up to 300 in 20-25 minutes.
Update -

Bill Vice sent me a new auger which I replaced yesterday. The old one was somewhat rounded on the lower leading edges and I found some scarring in a few places...maybe a small stone in the pellets?

Upon restart I was at 250 in 20 minutes. I kicked it to 350 and smoked a single chicken. The board temp (actual) never budged over 336. I didn't verify the actual internal with a digital; will do so today.

So I'm still stymied as to what's causing the differential. The firepot fan seems fine...the pellets are burning as they should. I'm guessing that either the cabinet temp probe is faulty or some other issue is preventing the board from recognizing the temp variance.

I plan to speak with Bill again after the weekend...just thought I'd toss it out to the forum for now.

Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.