Skip to main content

So I've been away from the boards for a long while now busy at work. What feels like forever I've finally been able to get my truck going.

Truck

It's the big white one in the photo.

In this truck that I use for working on film sets, I've mounted a FEC120 inside. Previous to this I would just cook at home and cambro it up to bring to work that day. Now having the cooker with me means doing chicken and ribs on location is now possible.

FEC120

To prevent an overflow of smoke into the truck, of course it sits under a hood fan. All is great and wonderful except the temps are shooting as high as 50 degrees higher than what I set it for. On top of that I think the fan is sucking out a lot of my smoke. I did a rib test and smoke ring along with a slight smokiness was still palatable. So it's not that bad. However what is bad is that when I set for 250 and it starts to push 300...not so good.

I called Hans who is the distributer for Cookshack in Canada and we talked about what I should do. The most cost effective suggestion was to make a baffle with legs that would sit about 4 inches above the exhaust portals. In effect shielding some of the big suck air vacuum pulling all my beautiful smoke. Well, considering I had to cool about some 40lbs of pork butts for a fundraiser tomorrow, I didn't have time or money to get one of these baffles custom made. Instead I present to you what is of course a temporary fix and my FEC120 is once again holding temps like a champ!

Exhaust Fan Fix

I'd like to give thanks to Cookshack and all their customer service reps. From Stuart to Eddy, and Hans here Canada. I wouldn't have come up with such a fix without inspiration. Saved me from having to push the FEC120 out of the truck to finish up the cook.
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.